There are newer employer reviews for Sallie Mae

Average company, be aware of the companies history.

Former Employee - Project Manager in Fishers, IN
Former Employee - Project Manager in Fishers, IN

I worked at Sallie Mae full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very good staff to work with. Management that reside in Fishers is pretty good to work with and for.

Cons

The organization has been divided into to companies, The company in Fishers is focused on Student Loan Servicing (Setting up and servicing loans, debt management). The company on the East coast is focused on personal financial services (savings/checking e-banking, credit card, Upromise rewards). May want to sell Student Servicing if a buyer could be found Staff layoffs continue to occur, although not as frequently and in smaller numbers.Probably not a place to find a long term career.

Advice to Management

Listen more to Fisher's management, they know more about their resources and business processes. Improve benefits Staff keep wondering who will be next in layoffs, some actually look forward to it to get out from under the threat. Stop the layoffs, by now the company should be stable, if not start looking at top management.

Other Employee Reviews for Sallie Mae

1. Nice place to work as a young man.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newark, DE
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newark, DE

I have been working at Sallie Mae part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Clean building and a good cafiteria.

Cons

Late hours and small parking lot.

2. Sallie Mae - Good place!

Current Employee - IT Staff in Fishers, IN
    Current Employee - IT Staff in Fishers, IN

I have been working at Sallie Mae full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Sallie Mae offers a great work environment with lots of great people. People are the best part of Sallie Mae as we all try to provide the best service internally and externally to our customers. People come and go to the company and, regarding those that leave, the grass is not always greener elsewhere and some would like to come back. The company is constantly adjusting course to move in the most productive direction for our customers and investors. We promote responsibility to our student borrowers with a 1-2-3 approach: free money, government money, then private money.

Cons

The regulatory risk is the overarching con to this company or industry in general. It is in the news a lot lately. Sallie Mae appears to run a lean IT shop by controlling expenses.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep the employees informed as you are currently doing. It helps knowing that we are all working toward the same goals.