There are newer employer reviews for Sallie Mae

Well run

Former Employee - Analyst in Reston, VA
Former Employee - Analyst in Reston, VA

I worked at Sallie Mae full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I worked for Sallie Mae for almost four years back when headquarters were located in Reston. At the time, the company offered a very flexible work-life balance, with the option to work from home as needed and casual Fridays. Sallie Mae was a well managed, organized, and structured place to work despite the constant grappling that occurred with the federal government over the student loan business. The best part about going into work everyday were the people. Most people I worked with were incredibly genuine, down to earth, and efficient in their roles. It was never a very stressful environment even though the company went through some rollercoaster rides during my time there.

Cons

There is no real performance management that takes place at Sallie Mae and people are given promotions based on popularity. There seemed to be little innovation within the groups I worked for.

reviews filtered by
  1. Great work environment, very flexible, compensation structure a bit rigid

I have been working at Sallie Mae

Pros

SLM provides one ofthe most flexible working environments, allowing folks to work from home very often. Casual fridays are great, and the new headquarters is gorgeous.

Cons

Compensation structure is very rigid, but is pegged to company performance. Upward mobility exists, but % changes in salaries are small. No position between Manager and Director, which makes it tough for those that normally would fall into a Sr. Management position at another company.

2. Do not work here ever!

I have been working at Sallie Mae

Pros

Great coworkers, complimentary snack closet

Cons

Long hours, poor management, no microwaves

There are newer employer reviews for Sallie Mae