There are newer employer reviews for Sally Beauty

has some decent perks

Former Employee - Store Manager
Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Sally Beauty full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Able to advance rather quickly due to the high turnover. Free products every month for all sales associates and a decent employee discount. Nice training program for hourly associates and depending on the store you work in, hours can be very flexible. Good insurance and generous vacation/sick time.

Cons

The hourly wage isn't that great. I started working as an hourly employee with a cosmetology license and was only making 50 cents more per hour than my high school drop-out coworkers. I advanced quickly and was store manager within a years time. I found it hard to keep decent employees due to the low wages and amount of hours I was allowed to give my staff, was constantly dealing with internal theft. Management salary is lower than average although managers can earn a pretty awesome vacation each year providing they meet their stores sales goals (not very hard). Quarterly bonus for management, again.. if you meet your stores sales goals. Insane amount of paperwork for store managers and unless you're extremely organized, you will start to sink quickly. If you're a store manager, it's extremely difficult to take more than a day or two of vacation. Unless you have an excellent and reliable staff, you have to arrange for another store manager or your district manager to fill in while you're gone and it's a royal pain.

Allow managers to offer a higher base pay to skilled candidates! Every problem I ever had working for Sally Beauty was due to not being able to keep a competent staff.

207 Other Employee Reviews for Sally Beauty (View Most Recent)

Good company, but old fashioned

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denton, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denton, TX

I have been working at Sally Beauty

Pros

Relaxed environment, co-workers are friendly for the most part, never stay past 5:00, very good cafeteria

Cons

The company is very old fashioned in every aspect: benefits, time off, non-flexible hours, technology is from the 1980's, no ability to work from home, dress code... etc.

Get more in line with today's company culture. Replace outdated desktops with laptops and allow employees the opportunity to work from home some. Re-evaluate non - flexible work hours. Consider a more relaxed dress code. Merit - based pay increases. Changes like these would help the company keep its younger, sharper employees, instead of them using Sally as a stepping stone.

My expirence started out good.

Former Employee - Anonymous in Lancaster, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Lancaster, PA

I worked at Sally Beauty full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free products, bonuses, meet new people,

Cons

Horrible district manager that talked behind everyone's back, long hours, little pay, had to use own vehicle for bank deposits and to do salon delivers so added extra miles on my car with no compensation. Very disappointed with the company!

My advice, don't let your district managers talk about employees to other employees behind there back. Very unprofessional. Having a store car for doing delivery sales would also be nice and having more time off on holidays.

There are newer employer reviews for Sally Beauty