Salt Lake Behavioral Health

www.saltlakebehavioralhealth.com
Unclaimed Profile
Add Review
There are newer employer reviews for Salt Lake Behavioral Health

Supportive coworkers, Corporate & Senior management are as unhealthy as they come

Current Employee - Program Therapist in Murray, UT
Current Employee - Program Therapist in Murray, UT

I have been working at Salt Lake Behavioral Health

Pros

Excellent treatment programs on all units. Coworkers are great: supportive, caring. Teams are really cohesive and work well together. Management willing to make team changes if there's a poor fit. Direct (middle) management is great. Hospital is growing, so lots of opportunity. Lots of promoting from within. Great salary. Health insurance is not great, but other bennies seem standard. Good food. Patients get better & there is support for aftercare with outpatient programs.

Cons

Corporate/upper management is as sick as I've ever seen. Middle managers are constantly (I'm not exaggerating, seriously, multiple times a day) yelled at , berated and threatened. Very little praise is ever given from upper management on successes. The corporation appears to run on a "beat them into submission" policy. Middle managers are INCREDIBLE at keeping this negativity from line staff. The place bleeds doctors/prescribers- can barely keep them b/c of the problems in upper management. This makes it difficult to give consistent care. Staffing ratios are inconsistently followed; it takes a lot of noise from line staff to get units staffed in accordance with the facility's own staffing grids. We grow, but don't staff for growth, then our managers get in trouble when things fall through the cracks. Additionally, the corporate pressure to admit clients leads to "soft" admissions of clients who really don't need this level of care. Then it's a huge fight to get them out & into community care b/c the money lost when a patient leaves. That's messed up.

Advice to Management

Every thing I said above. We have monthly staff meetings with our CEO, which are nice, but employees know that he will, literally, tell us one thing, then say another in meetings with management. I had a lot of hope when he came on, but the environment for mid-level management has stayed so toxic I no longer believe what he says. I TRULY LOVE my job- the work I do with patients & the support I get from my coworkers & direct manager make me happy at work. Despite this I'm looking for new work because I can't continue to ethically support a company that is truly cruel to its mid-level managers. I really don't know how they survive...

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Toxic place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Salt Lake Behavioral Health

Pros

The pay is very good compared to other hospitals in the area. Utah pays nurses an extremely low wage, so this was much, much better than average.

Cons

unorganized, inadequate staffing ratios, crazy NP that they wouldn't get rid of

Advice to Management

increase staffing ratios and training or you will continue to have a high turnover

Keep hoping UHS would make changes

I have been working at Salt Lake Behavioral Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is good. Staff are great.

Cons

Management especially New CNO wouldn't know what actual work is so even if you ask for help, she finds someone else to delegate everything to. I honestly don't think she could help on the floor if asked. I checked to make sure she was licensed because I was that concerned. No worries she is licensed at an associates level. Management including Carlisa, David and CEO Melissa are more concerned with saving money then staff. It has been observed that lunch comes first.

Advice to Management

Please show staff that you are willing to support us, let us know our concerns are heard, and let us know that you can do the job.