There are newer employer reviews for Salt Lake County, UT

Great people and values, limited money and slow work.

Current Employee - Program Associate  in  Salt Lake City, UT
Current Employee - Program Associate in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Salt Lake County, UT as an intern for more than a year

Pros

They invest in their employees -- you have access to fitness classes, professional development, and personal development. It's fairly relaxed, and employees are committed to their work. My supervisor is a mentor to me and helps me find ways to get involved with things I am interested in and to expand my knowledge and skills.

Cons

Low pay, slow moving processes

12 Other Employee Reviews for Salt Lake County, UT (View Most Recent)

It was educational, but I felt that I was treated as though I couldn't be responsible without close supervision.

Former Employee - AmeriCorps Volunteer  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - AmeriCorps Volunteer in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Salt Lake County, UT

Pros

It provides a good jumping off point for working in the nonprofit sector (speaking specifically of my AmeriCorps work with them). I appreciated the ability to network with other AmeriCorps at monthly meetings. This provided me with new ideas and resources to take back to the organization I was working with in order to better serve its target population.

Cons

My experience with Salt Lake County was one of condescension toward employees, unprofessional emails, and overall distrust of the basic competency of AmeriCorps volunteers to complete the basic tasks needed to liaise between the organizations they were volunteering at and Salt Lake County, the organization that was actually paying them their stipend.
    Pay was low, but I believe that is the case with all AmeriCorps positions

Create a collaborative environment where AmeriCorps volunteers feel a part of the process. Trust that these individuals working at organizations throughout the community have important things to offer the county and actively listen to what they have to offer. Treat them as equals and, I believe that experience will be a much more positive one for both them and you.

Give & Take

Current Employee - Supervisor  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Salt Lake County, UT

Pros

The benefits are terrific in a climate where benefits are continually being stripped away, Salt Lake County continues to provide employer paid family insurance at an 80/20 premium rate. Management is also aware of the need to take time off and do their best to accomodate people in being able to use the time they have accrued.

Cons

You can get whipsawed back and forth at times as policies change. There are many elected officials that are all vying for authority and competing to flex their muscles, and you can get shot down if caught in the crossfire. There is no central place for policy or direction, leaving many confused. Each department or division has its own culture, which can be good or bad.

Communicate and trust your people. At times it can feel like a witch hunt in an effort to assess blame for something gone wrong, whien in reality, people are trying to do what they think is right. That's made difficult because they senior management doesn't really give a clear direction on values and culture.

There are newer employer reviews for Salt Lake County, UT

Worked for Salt Lake County, UT? Contribute to the Community!