Salvation Army

There are newer employer reviews for Salvation Army

Its ok but not a career

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Salvation Army full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good place to work depending on what you are doing I guess. Tons of holidays off but its only 35 hour week which can be good or bad depending on how you view it. Getting off at 4:00 is nice. But some people prefere extra income by working the 40 hours but you dont get that here. Pretty good health benefits.

Cons

Officers move around so you could get a new boss every once in a while. It could be bad or good thing depending on your situation but its usually stressful because they come in not knowing their job or what to do. Can be very chaiotic and it effects the employees the most. Not a ton of training for employees or growth opportunities really. Not a place I want to work at forever but a decent place with pretty good people for the most part. It all just depends on what officer you work for. Some are great and some...not so great. Not a lot of unity as an orginization at whole, at least thats how it seems.

Listen to employees and you dont have to agree but consider what they say at least. Humility is really necessary if you want to keep employees.

351 Other Employee Reviews for Salvation Army (View Most Recent)

The most rewarding enployment I have ever had. Great company mission , great atmosphere

Current Employee - Manager Electronic Shops in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Manager Electronic Shops in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Salvation Army (more than an year)

Pros

more than just a job , but a life affirming mission helping others plus personal rewards

Cons

relitive low pay to start

Adhere to standard wages for semi professional and professional job description s

Enjoyed my 6 years here, a good place to work

Former Employee - Media Department in West Nyack, NY
    Former Employee - Media Department in West Nyack, NY

I worked at Salvation Army full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- Excellent facilities in a convenient location
    - Cheap but excellent food served for lunch - I miss this the most
    - Felt I was given the space and tools needed to do a good job in a comfortable atmosphere with lots of like-minded people working together
    - I feel like for a non-profit, the benefits were generous

Cons

- slow to innovate, encouraged to maintain the status quo, feels like an uphill battle when you want to try something new
    - HR was slow to handle some pretty heinous activity, and discipline was uneven within even the same department - not equal treatment for normal employees vs. members of the salvation army employees
    - small ladders, no room or plan for job growth and advancement, had to fight for or make up new jobs to get ahead, as leadership is all officers (Pastors)

Open administrative leadership positions to more employees, move officers to field where they can pastor people rather than be confined to a desk. Leave a minimum of officers in place and allow more employees to advance

There are newer employer reviews for Salvation Army