Salvation Army
www.salvationarmyusa.org Alexandria, VA 5000+ Employees

High turn around for a reason

Shelter Staff (Current Employee)
Seattle, WA

ProsNon Profit, get to help people
Managers very open on letting you do new tasks.
Nice people

ConsVery low pay
No benefits
No Health benefits even though you work with the homeless population which carry scarlet fever, bronchitis, scabies, and a slew of other illnesses...oh yeah, staph infections.

The job is part time but they managers demand you work ALL HOLIDAYS (because the salaried , full time employees are "required" to take them off), and be on call during the winter for their other shelter...on the days you're off.

The majority of funds going to the shelter comes from grant money, and the majority of donations go to church bs. The shelter has a ridiculously high turnover rate for a reason.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's unfair that shelter staff workers are forced to cater their whole life around your understaffed organization while getting paid minimum wage. It's insulting as the participants have better jobs than shelter staff. Forcing sheltering staff to be on call during your warming hour centers in addition to making them work every holiday is why i'm leaving the group.

Its ok but not a career

Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Salvation Army full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Good place to work depending on what you are doing I guess. Tons of holidays off but its only 35 hour week which can… Cons: Officers move around so you could get a new boss every once in a while. It could be bad or good thing depending on… Advice to Senior Management: Listen to employees and you dont have to agree but consider what they… More

Enjoyed my 6 years here, a good place to work

Media Department (Former Employee)
    West Nyack, NY

I worked at Salvation Army full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: - Excellent facilities in a convenient location - Cheap but excellent food served for lunch - I miss this the most - Felt I was given the… Cons: - slow to innovate, encouraged to maintain the status quo, feels like an uphill battle when you want to try something new - HR was slow… Advice to Senior Management: Open administrative leadership positions to more employees, move officers to field where they can pastor people rather than… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Salvation Army.

Worked for Salvation Army? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Salvation Army reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Salvation Army CEO Rob Pace. All reviews posted anonymously by Salvation Army employees.