Salvation Army

www.salvationarmyusa.org
Profile Unclaimed
There are newer employer reviews for Salvation Army

The Salvation Army needs to be consistent with their hiring practices & in which they treat their employees once hired.

Former Employee - Associate in Walled Lake, MI
Former Employee - Associate in Walled Lake, MI

I worked at Salvation Army full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The store staff and employees were terrific to work with, but there store staff has no say in the decisions made by the Human Resources Division of the Eastern Michigan District.

Cons

I have a Michigan felony conviction from decades ago At the time I was hired in to The Salvation Army I made note of this on my job application; at my interview I made note of this as well; and, at my orientation, I again made note of it. Still later it came up, and I was again open and honest regarding my background. After seven and a half weeks, and giving the organization 110%, I was abruptly terminated in mid-shift. During my employment there was even discussion of my becoming a manager in training.

The Salvation Army’s motto is: “Doing the most good.” Shame on them for treating me or anyone else with anything less than the dignity and respect they deserve.

Do not terminate good employees. If the employee has told the truth, you've done the background check, then why discriminate against them weeks or months later? How would you feel if you were in the same position? I put my past behind me decares ago, aparently The Salvation Army is still making the same old mistakes. If they've done it to me, they've done it to others.

394 Other Employee Reviews for Salvation Army (View Most Recent)

First hand knowlege or oganization

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Broken Arrow, OK
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Broken Arrow, OK

I worked at Salvation Army part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I cant say anything good about the organization.

Cons

Business run with free merchandise selling for the highest price. Clothing is unwashed but pressed flat fo re-sale. Men picked up at the court system are housed and forced as labor in retail stores and forced to aplly for food stamps and relinquish monies back to organization.

Upper management are self appointed majors. Shame on you, our soldiers earn that title.

High turn around for a reason

Current Employee - Shelter Staff in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Shelter Staff in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Salvation Army part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Non Profit, get to help people
    Managers very open on letting you do new tasks.
    Nice people

Cons

Very low pay
    No benefits
    No Health benefits even though you work with the homeless population which carry scarlet fever, bronchitis, scabies, and a slew of other illnesses...oh yeah, staph infections.

The job is part time but they managers demand you work ALL HOLIDAYS (because the salaried , full time employees are "required" to take them off), and be on call during the winter for their other shelter...on the days you're off.

The majority of funds going to the shelter comes from grant money, and the majority of donations go to church bs. The shelter has a ridiculously high turnover rate for a reason.

It's unfair that shelter staff workers are forced to cater their whole life around your understaffed organization while getting paid minimum wage. It's insulting as the participants have better jobs than shelter staff. Forcing sheltering staff to be on call during your warming hour centers in addition to making them work every holiday is why i'm leaving the group.

There are newer employer reviews for Salvation Army