There are newer employer reviews for Salvation Army

I was very enlightened about what all they do and I learned a lot.

Former Employee - Volunteer Services and Christmas Coordinator in Niles, MI
Former Employee - Volunteer Services and Christmas Coordinator in Niles, MI

I worked at Salvation Army as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

It was a happy atmosphere and their number one goal is to help the community in any way they can.

Cons

Can't think of any, they do really good work and have their heart in the right place.

Keep up the good work

331 Other Employee Reviews for Salvation Army (View Most Recent)

Degrading

Former Employee - Communications in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Communications in Detroit, MI

I worked at Salvation Army part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Charitable, clean work environment, and has a lot of charities.

Cons

Within 5 hours of training, I was yelled at that something would have to be done with me, that I wasn't recalling what I learned the day before(I was there only 2 hours) it was slow, and really wasn't able to take a call. Was degraded, spoken down to, no compassion, inhuman place to work, everyone was very quiet in fear of being heard and losing their job, very harsh work environment....

Step up your training programs, insist the managers train for at least one week before going live, have employees sit and listen to live calls and how to get around on the system before expecting new hires to come in cocked, locked, and ready to rock, seriously!!! follow the Christian mission more closely, very poor employee morale, very unprofessional training.....

Bias and Double Standards

I have been working at Salvation Army full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Ability to help men get beyond challenging times in their lives through bad choices.

Cons

No room for advancement; pay not commensurate with education or experience; condescension in the workplace; double standards with employees and program participants. As this is a "Christian" organization, the tenets of this faith should be practiced in other places beyond the chapel sanctuary. This is not the case! There is a definitive demarcation between business and Christianity when, in fact, the behavior of a Christian should be to practice these tenets in all endeavors, even in business. The Salvation Army puts on a face that few people see. One of "doing the most good", and In fact, they do good universally. However, they maintain a condescending manner in the sense of demonstrating a "missionary preaching to the natives" disposition. Those that come into a salvation army rehabilitation facility are broken and yes, they can rebuild. Yet, from the head, there is a lack of compassion, empathy, identification that is demonstrated in the interaction with the participants of their program when not in the sanctuary. Additionally, there are two distinct sides of the rehabilitation facilities: Operations and Program. The Operations side gets a salary and bonuses for their work. These bonuses are plentiful and range in the thousands of dollars. The Program side receives a meager salary that is barely beyond a livable wage, no matter how long employed, and receives no bonuses. It is the Program side that boosts the morale of the men who work (for free) in the various warehouses, thrift stores, and other "work therapy" assignments.

Needs to employ and demonstrate genuine brotherly love beyond the chapel service. Needs to pay their dedicated and faithful employees a salary close to the national median for a given position.

There are newer employer reviews for Salvation Army