Salvation Army

www.salvationarmyusa.org
  www.salvationarmyusa.org
There are newer employer reviews for Salvation Army

Dysfunctional and odd company culture

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Salvation Army full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You will meet many interesting people, and depending on your role, you will have the satisfaction of seeing many of the faces that are touched by their programs.

Cons

The church leaders are also the senior most executive and management roles across the board. This leads to a strange hierarchy of poor leadership by people who are at no risk of losing their titles or jobs. Conflict resolution usually ended in firings or resignations of employees. In my short time there, I saw over 4 dozen employees either get fired or resign out of frustration from an 88 person staff. I resigned after three years.

High turnover and multiple firings is a reflection of problems in the highest levels of management - not in the quality of your staff.

351 Other Employee Reviews for Salvation Army (View Most Recent)

Mixed feelings on the organization...

I worked at Salvation Army full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The rehabilitation centers have an inspiring mix of some of the most dedicated members of the church and civilian professionals who believe in the cause.

Cons

The rehabilitation centers also have a disappointing mix of some of the most hypocritical members of the church and inept civilian employees who do more harm to the clients they serve than good.

There has several times been a push to handle the organization more like a business. Realizing that when people donate money they do it to see a meaningful social return on that investment. There have also been several times when this new philosophy was abandoned after a short time. I think it can be done, and the organization would be so much more effective and respected for it.

I used to work for a Salvation Army in my hometown, and enjoyed working for them

Former Employee - Was A Cashier/Store Clerk in Toccoa, GA
    Former Employee - Was A Cashier/Store Clerk in Toccoa, GA

I worked at Salvation Army part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I liked when I got paid
    I liked when I got to know the customers and to make them smile when I said hello

Cons

I did not like when I got terminated
    I did not like my boss at the time he had his favorites
    I did not like getting written up for my mistakes

do not have any advice except to continue being good managers

There are newer employer reviews for Salvation Army