There are newer employer reviews for Salvation Army

Helping people is rewarding in it self.

Former Employee - Bell Ringer in Toccoa, GA
Former Employee - Bell Ringer in Toccoa, GA

I worked at Salvation Army part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I got to help the community, also it was for children that their parents didn't have money for Christmas or to pay their bills so it was really good that I rung the bell and help raise money for those families. I love helping when I can.

Cons

It was very cold outside and it rained on us. It was very long hours but I would do it again in a heart beat.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Doing the Most Good for the Most People In the Most Need

I have been working at Salvation Army part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The Salvation Army has an incredible impact on the community where it serves. The mission to Do the Most Good isn't in vain. The Salvation Army is a Church and with that comes great accountability. The health benefits are excellent. The pay is about average for a nonprofit. The employees and officers are committed. What The Salvation Army is able to accomplish is incredible.

Cons

Paperwork can be a challenge. The Salvation Army operates old school so there is a lengthy approval process to get anything approved. It has to go through multiple boards and finance board approval to receive a green light.

Nepotism. Nepotism happens daily in The Salvation Army. Hiring family members, or creating new positions just to have a family member hired, or a family member receiving special treatment because of their connections to a Salvation Army officer. It's frustrating for employees to see someone else receive special treatment because they are related to a Salvation Army Officer. This by far is the biggest issue with The Salvation Army. Children receiving special treatment because of their parents or relatives. I would not doubt for a second that employees with better qualifications get passed on for promotions or jobs because of nepotism in the workplace.

Advice to Management

Work on the Nepotism in the workplace. Consider setting up stricter guidelines for children who work in the same corps or command as their parents.

Sales Associate

Current Employee - Not Saying in Syracuse, NY
    Current Employee - Not Saying in Syracuse, NY

I have been working at Salvation Army part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Solid work schedule. Promised me three days and gave me three days. Work described at interview was exact. Good people to work for and with.

Cons

Can be very hard on the body. Shoe department, lots of bending over and pushing and pulling carts. Spraying shoes with ammonia and also in the work area of spray for furniture and linen. Spray makes you choke. Must work all day on feet.

Advice to Management

No advancement. No reason to stay. Rules on how to do things change every day. Over manager has no tact with employees and needs to get personality training. Sad but true. Not a bad person but is like a bulldog without knowing why things are the way they are before she sounds off.