There are newer employer reviews for Sam Houston State

Great place for student workers!

Former Employee - Student Assistant  in  Huntsville, TX
Former Employee - Student Assistant in Huntsville, TX

I worked at Sam Houston State part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

For the most part, offices are great with working around class schedules. Have opportunity to get to know upper level university directors & such. I've always enjoyed the atmosphere of the office and the "family" culture that we have here at Sam. I've been a student worker for 4 years and have enjoyed every moment of it.

Cons

Only being able to work a maximum of 20 hours a week and making minimum wage at nearly every on campus job. Depending on the position and the office, students deserve more pay for the things that they do. Unfortunately, thanks to government rules, we aren't allowed to work more hours and they won't give us more pay.

Most every manager i've come in contact with has been great. I guess just realize that the students working for you aren't just students. They deserve to be treated as adults and given responsibilities. Managers should focus on development of student leaders. That way, they don't have to look outside of their offices to promote.

26 Other Employee Reviews for Sam Houston State (View Most Recent)

Great place to get an education

Former Employee - Social Science Research Assistants
    Former Employee - Social Science Research Assistants

I worked at Sam Houston State part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pays grad students very well.

Cons

if you are not one of the favorites you get overlooked

No real advice. Decent program and decent school.

Not bad for a student job.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Huntsville, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Huntsville, TX

I have been working at Sam Houston State part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

My office provided a lot of job security; I was able to work there until I graduated. All the staff in my office were very nice and caring, and treated me like an equal for the most part. Many opportunities for cross-training and the ability to take on new assignments. I received a six-month raise and ended up making $9.00/hr. There were many networking opportunities that happened simply from being on the job.

Cons

There were many times when I didn't have anything to work on, despite spending hours doing training for special projects that didn't happen. Other employees were able to get new furniture at the drop of a hat, but I developed posture issues from having to hunch over a desk in an old chair. My office hired me to work opposite hours of an adult staffer, who made almost twice as much per hour to do the same job that I did. Keeping a professional dress code as a student was inconvenient, especially when it was 106 degrees outside. My supervisor would commonly forget that I had requested days off (months in advance), and sometimes I had to barter with other student workers to get them off.

While my experience wasn't bad by any means, the university needs to understand that student employees are the backbone of the university. We are the ones that carry your boxes, run your errands, and cover for you when you don't want to talk to a disgruntled customer. If a staff member can get a desk that costs more than my annual salary, why I can't I at least have a comfortable workstation?

There are newer employer reviews for Sam Houston State

Worked for Sam Houston State? Contribute to the Community!