There are newer employer reviews for Sam's Club

Excellent place to work but becomes quite monotonous

Current Employee - Team Leader in Lima, OH
Current Employee - Team Leader in Lima, OH

I have been working at Sam's Club full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Place to work for just seems to become quite monotonous

Cons

Management seems to get in the way and not let the team leaders develop their people.

Advice to Management

Allow team leaders to take an active role in the building.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Former cashier

Former Employee - Cashier in Elyria, OH
    Former Employee - Cashier in Elyria, OH

I worked at Sam's Club part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Flexible scheduling. At my previous job, I always worked 12 to 8 pm, so working 9 to 5, or 9 am to 1 pm was very refreshing! - Lunch breaks ( At the job before this, we did not get lunch breaks. ) - Decent hours during the summer time. ( over 28 every week ) - Free membership - Pay a little higher than average

Cons

- Extreme pressure to sell Plus memberships and lines of credit. If you were asking people, COS's would not think you were asking and would yell at you. Selling the credit was always easier than the Plus membership. - I know this is NOT the same across all Sam's Club, but a few of the COS's I worked with were very rude to me. With regards to the Plus membership upgrades, there was one in particular that would threaten to fire me if I didn't get enough. I know they had to let me know I needed to get more upgrades, but they did NOT do it in a nice way. They would threaten and harass me to get them. - Heavy lifting, but if you ask a customer nicely to help you they usually will help you lift it. Being a Sam's Club cashier was NOT for me ( personality wise and goal wise ) but it was a learning experience.

Advice to Management

Make sure that the employees are treated fairly. I know you can't keep tabs on everyone, but make sure there are not COS's that are not harassing cashiers. It really makes them not want to ask, and it makes them not think highly of Sam's Club.

I have moved up from cashier to COS Checkout Supervisor in 5 months, but I get paid less than some cashiers...wth?

Current Employee - Checkout Supervisor, COS in College Station, TX
    Current Employee - Checkout Supervisor, COS in College Station, TX

I have been working at Sam's Club full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a good company with a stable job security. It is an indoor job with lots of room to move around. I like the health benefits, and the people for the most part.

Cons

They pay you a rate that is based on how long you have been there, rather than what you are actually doing. A cashier that has a pay grade 3 who has been there for 2 years can make 10 bucks an hour, yet a checkout supervisor who has been there for 5 months can make less than that. That makes no sense. The boss makes less than a cashier, yet he tell him/her what to do and is his BOSS! Crazy!

Advice to Management

Get the pay rate the person deserves for the position he is working, and stop paying employees just based on how long they have worked there. The base pay needs to be higher for certain positions.