There are newer employer reviews for Sam's Club

Cashiers are pressured to lie and not care; DISGUSTED with store manager's attitude

Former Employee - Cashier in City of Industry, CA
Former Employee - Cashier in City of Industry, CA

I worked at Sam's Club full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pretty good pay
Very flexible hours
Very friendly supervisors
Very friendly co-workers (for the most part)

Cons

Crazy quotas for selling Plus Memberships (which are an absolute scam).
If you're okay with making a living misleading people and selling them worthless garbage, then you may not think of this as a negative point.

Store manager had absolutely NO integrity whatsoever; I was told (in these exact words) "Your job isn't to care about customers. Your job is to sell Plus Memberships."
It's very rare that I am so disgusted with another human being--I quit my job immediately after I saw that I could not make an honest living working there.

If you're going to demand outrageous quotas for something that customers pay up to $60 EXTRA for, then make sure it's actually worth something.

My advice to anyone thinking of applying as a cashier:
If you're going to sell Plus Memberships, do NOT read the fine print on the backside of the little pamphlets!! You will quickly discover how worthless it is, and therefore, be unable to do your job!
If you're okay with ripping people off as part of your job, then do yourself a favor and remain oblivious to what you're actually selling.

1100 Other Employee Reviews for Sam's Club (View Most Recent)

Pressure to maximize revenue while keeping costs low unbearable

Former Employee - Meat Team Leader in Baton Rouge, LA
    Former Employee - Meat Team Leader in Baton Rouge, LA

I worked at Sam's Club full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Large, stable company who does their homework and knows their customer.

Cons

Management takes the approach of "The beatings will continue until morale improves". It's not without it's challenges, but the pressure is immense. There is massive turnover, but if you are competent and can handle the pressure the potential to rise is great. Formal education is not necessary if you prove yourself within the company.

Just a Number

Current Employee - General Manager in Bentonville, AR
    Current Employee - General Manager in Bentonville, AR

I have been working at Sam's Club full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There are a lot of great people who work for the organization and as a manager you have the opportunity to positively impact peoples lives.

Cons

The internet is filled with negative things to say about Wal-Mart / Sam's Club, unfortunately too many of them are true. The organization has lost it's way and the principles upon which Sam Walton founded the company. They still exist in slogans, banners and corporate rhetoric but not in practice. The organization is run by the lawyers trying to protect it and not leaders interested in taking care of their people. Sam Walton was a remarkable leader and visionary, unfortunately the company now lacks both.

Actually take care of your people as if they matter to the business. The rhetoric is transparent and discontent continues to build within your organization.

There are newer employer reviews for Sam's Club