Sam's Club

www.samsclub.com
  www.samsclub.com
There are newer employer reviews for Sam's Club

steadily decreasing from care for the company and its workers and more about how much profit can be made.

Former Employee - Overnight Merchandiser in Mishawaka, IN
Former Employee - Overnight Merchandiser in Mishawaka, IN

I worked at Sam's Club full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

variety of jobs within the company
"some" flexibility if you are liked

Cons

favoritismr
failure to follow policies with all managers
managers never have the same answers
managing by own style not policy

if you would show a little appreciation to the employees that actually WORK for you then you wouldn't have such a high turnover rate. Quit bending the rules for the people that are always late, calling off or just NOT working just because you're afraid they will sue you. The people that actually work are the ones that will stand by because they need the job or maybe actually like their job. But the morale that you hold within the company diminishes all the long-timers their.

1196 Other Employee Reviews for Sam's Club (View Most Recent)

Do not recommend supervisor positions unless you're making a career out of it.

Former Employee - Checkout Supervisor, COS in Appleton, WI
    Former Employee - Checkout Supervisor, COS in Appleton, WI

I worked at Sam's Club part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Started out as p/t cashier, promoted to COS 9 months later. Advancement/movement opportunities are good, even within your own club. This was a 2nd job for me, and they were pretty good about working around my scheduling needs. Pretty run of the mill cashier position. Big focus on Plus upgrades, but if you formulate a good spiel and genuinely try hard, you'll do fine. I'd say pay was above average for a similar position elsewhere in the same area. Most of the associates in my club (and even some of the managers) were pretty cool to work with.

Cons

The day I became a COS was the day I started to hate my job there; I literally feared going to work. Management will ride you to no end about sales, particularly Plus. Now, I was always pretty good about my own Plus numbers, but I detested having to be responsible for everyone else's as well. Additionally, I had always had a very good rapport with my fellow cashiers when I was one of them, but when I became their boss and had to be the bad guy about Plus, several of them started to hate me. Running a busy front-end can be extremely frustrating; it gets very trying on a Saturday to have to deal with lines 10 deep, 3 cashiers wanting (needing) breaks all at the same time because they're approaching lockout, floor partners being uncooperative and making excuses just because they don't want to help run register, getting glared at and swore at by members while prescanning because there aren't more lines open, having to cover breaks for the door people and cart pushers, on top of being asked by management every 20 minutes what the Plus numbers are. This may just be what some people thrive on. Not me; I was in the process of transferring to a different position (even back to cashier) when I accepted a more lucrative job offer elsewhere.

Stop focusing so much on Plus. Think of and treat your associates like people, and not as sales machines. Happy associates = productive associates. Mind your staffing in the clubs - ours was horribly understaffed; give your club managers the payroll budgets they need in order to provide great service to the members.

Large employer so you will meet great friends as well as weirdos.

Former Employee - Many Titles in Riverside, CA
    Former Employee - Many Titles in Riverside, CA

I worked at Sam's Club part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Good pay, plus benefits for part timers
    -Many types of jobs, something for everyone

Cons

-Cheap on everything
    - Bosses are under pressure so you get a lot of pressure too
    -Expected to do many jobs at once

Help train new people hands on.

There are newer employer reviews for Sam's Club