Sam's Club

www.samsclub.com
There are newer employer reviews for Sam's Club

Been in the Bakery for five years

Current Employee - Bakery Team Lead in Sacramento, CA
Current Employee - Bakery Team Lead in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Sam's Club part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Get to pick up groceries and other items on the way home. Sometimes find bargains when they are closing out merchandise.

Cons

Poor salary, no advancement, terrible hours

It is what it is, I guess

1246 Other Employee Reviews for Sam's Club (View Most Recent)

Ready to quit after one month.

Current Employee - Cashier
    Current Employee - Cashier

I have been working at Sam's Club part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Co-workers and other staff are really nice. The pay is okay. Talking to some of the members is actually fun. You get breaks for every 3-5 hours you work.

Cons

As a cashier, you are expected to sell sell sell plus memberships and credits. To the point where if you don't talk to EVERYONE who comes through your line about plus, you get written up and your job is on the line. After only three weeks of working here (with almost no formal training whatsoever), I was taken in to my manager's office and my job was threatened because I wasn't selling enough plusses. "You're backing down too easily. Not being aggressive enough." It was ridiculous. And then the next day, they had me wearing a hot, sweaty prison costume while I worked to promote plus memberships, and the only way to take it off was to sell one, under the premise of "having fun" with it. Not fun: humiliating, condescending and I'm not even sure it's legal.

There are a lot of different variety members who shop here. Be prepared to deal with some angry, unfriendly people. Lots of heavy lifting, but that's part of the job description. Make sure you're good at multitasking, because if you're not talking about plus and doing your job at the same time, you get in trouble (and be prepared for many people to be unresponsive and unfriendly when you talk to them about plus, but I don't blame them). Plus, the management only recognizes the cashiers who are good at selling memberships and credits. That's the only way to move up in the business.

If you are a nice person with morals that you can't put aside for work, find another job, because they're all brainwashed there. It's nothing but profits, profits, profits.

Care about your employees. The whole business is screwed up. Customer service doesn't even seem to matter at Sam's. And associates and employees matter too, not just management. Don't come around every ten seconds asking if we "got anything yet." Yes, I realize that you all need to impress your bosses too, but pressuring us and putting our jobs on the line as a way to get us to work harder does not work. Because of you, I dread going to work, and am now in the market for a new job.

Sams only cares about profit, not associates

I have been working at Sam's Club full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

some clubs offer a $2-$3 differential for working in Fresh areas

Cons

cutting part timers hours and even asking full timers to cut hours to save on payroll/wages, poor/expensive health insurance, you have to have a fully open availability even if you are part time or you will not be scheduled many hours because of new 'member needs' scheduling system, no set schedule, hard to get any vacation time approved, inexperienced management, poor pay and yearly raises, they send associates out to businesses and even houses to ask people to sign up for a sams club membership, low morale.

be more sympathetic to your associates needs, work with your associates to get a better understanding of what they do and how to do it. teach and train your associates so they can grow with the company

There are newer employer reviews for Sam's Club