There are newer employer reviews for Sam's Club

Souring

I have been working at Sam's Club part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Decent to good pay, job opportunities, profit sharing, 401k, stock options, some flexibility in hours.

A couple of years ago I had the opportunity to build my home as part of a special program. It required me to be on site for about 30-35 hours per week in a set schedule. My direct manager was very supportive and worked with me so that I could do the program. Last year I had a long-lasting family emergency that required me to take a LOA. Since then I have needed many days off to take my family member to doctor appointments. My (new) direct manager has been very good about giving me the time off, and has even helped when I forgot to request it a few times.

Cons

Lack of appreciation from management, rigid computer written schedules that are inconsistent, rewards are given for wrong or obscure reasons, general lack of knowledge in management, management can be slow to respond, etc.

I have worked at this location for over five years, plus a few months at a different location to start. I love my job, love my co-workers and direct manager--but am very much coming to HATE the company.

There is a reward program called "High Five" in which a supervisor fills out a small card citing what an employee did to get the reward, which consists of a pin and $5, and mention at morning meeting. I go out of my way on an almost daily basis to help not only members, but co-workers. I stay late almost daily. I have filled in when needed in other areas. I have even had a member write a letter to compliment me to management. Yet I haven't received a High Five in several years. Who does? People who get high numbers of Plus upgrades (the highest cost membership) and credit applications. Often, people don't even know what they are getting into. But the employee still gets rewarded. We also have "Employee Of The Month" but I could not tell you how they award that. Supposedly it is by employee votes, but I sometimes find that extremely hard to believe. Oh...and that letter? I didn't even find out about it for about six months. I only found out then because I had gotten a very undeserved negative mark on my review and went to my HR person to ask advice.

They tied managers hands by employing a computer to do schedules. Instead of using individual store statistics to determine shifts needed they use nation-wide numbers, thereby ignoring local culture and events. This causes extremes in staffing. We are either bored out of our minds or far too busy to even think about getting our breaks as we are supposed to. The only one we can count on is lunch, because the registers lock you out after about 6 hours. They were sued before because people weren't getting lunches. But if you don't use a register you can still go over the 6-hour max--and YOU will get into trouble.

Management ranges from very good, knowledgeable, and pleasant to very difficult, almost total lack of knowledge for anything outside their direct area, and just generally unpleasant. Some refuse to answer calls for help unless asked for by name--even when they are the only manager in the store. Some answer, but refuse to come when asked (such as in response to a member complaint or request), and instead tell you what to say. When associates have complained about this--or about not being backed up by management--it gets turned into something we are doing wrong.

I could go on. And on. I am so incredibly hurt by this company's recent attitude and actions. There are always little things--and always have been here--but it's getting to a point I just don't know if I can continue. I pretty much left in tears the last time I worked.

Do what you claim to--LISTEN TO YOUR PEOPLE. Quit handing out rewards for shoving Plus and credit down unsuspecting throats. Get rid of the asinine computer scheduling. Stop "making things better" by making it all worse!

1054 Other Employee Reviews for Sam's Club (View Most Recent)

Terrible

Current Employee - Cart Attendant  in  Seekonk, MA
    Current Employee - Cart Attendant in Seekonk, MA

I have been working at Sam's Club part-time for less than a year

Pros

The members are nice to be around.

Cons

the management is terrible, and they treat us horribly.

Why do you treat us like garbage? We work hard for you, why do we get paid so little? Why do we never get a thank you? It's as if we're not even there. We're autonomous. I don't understand it. I really don't.

horible company

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Woodbury, NJ
    Current Employee - Cashier in Woodbury, NJ

I have been working at Sam's Club part-time for less than a year

Pros

pay was above minimum wage

Cons

management was unfair, very shady. constantly changed schedules without any warning or consideration

get on the floor and try to come up with 60 memberhips a week

There are newer employer reviews for Sam's Club

Worked for Sam's Club? Contribute to the Community!