Sam's Club

www.samsclub.com
There are newer employer reviews for Sam's Club

Selling membership. Working with people

I have been working at Sam's Club

Pros

Enjoyed the work and taking to people

Cons

Changing schedule. Too short hours

Better pay

1199 Other Employee Reviews for Sam's Club (View Most Recent)

Assistant Manager

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Laurel, MD
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Laurel, MD

I worked at Sam's Club full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Can move up in the company with no education. They have a café so you don't have to leave for lunch or dinner while you are working your 10+ hour shift.

Cons

The upper management does not train their management staff and then blames them when they fail. Poor training and they always threated that you could be replaced. Poor scheduling for managers, you will have to close one night ( if you lucky, you'll be out by 10) and then you are expected to open (7 am) the next day. Upper management looks down on you if you take your full hour lunch break. If you have a family and you want to spend time with them, then this isn't the place for you.

Costco is a 100% better place o work.

About right

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Plattsburgh, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Plattsburgh, NY

I have been working at Sam's Club part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Discounted stock options, some room for upward mobility.

Cons

There was room for upward mobility, but it wasn't distributed evenly. Some people were perpetually stuck in their present roles despite the fact that management continually indicated they would soon offer them more. Also, they had a slew of part-time workers to cut costs, but as we all know this resulted in higher employee turnover which effected service. I would be willing to bet this was a ploy to achieve year-end bonus goals, but this short-term versus long-term thinking will eventually do more harm than good.

They had many employees, not me personally, but many who would have considered themselves career workers, had they only been given full-time status. For those who were seeking greener pastures, a horizon for improvement. If the latter was lacking, it seems only fair not to string employees along. The number of part-time employees is unfortunately a reality for the current workforce, and whether it is cost effective relative to worker output I can't say. However, it is an office culture which I strongly dislike.

There are newer employer reviews for Sam's Club