There are newer employer reviews for Samsung Austin Semiconductor

Your job satisfaction will vary depending on which department you work in

Current Employee - Senior Eng in Austin, TX
Current Employee - Senior Eng in Austin, TX

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Cutting edge technology, great benefits, quarterly bonuses, good pay, constantly changing (which can be good and bad!), senior management is working to change the previously abusive culture

Cons

constantly changing, Korea always seems to use the Christmas season to roll out new fabs/technology, work/life balance for most engineering positions is nonexsistant, TR position is impossible

Advice to Management

Keep pushing for the culture changes! Most of us come to work to support our families but when we are expected to be 24x7 call those same families puch for us to find another place to work.

reviews filtered by

Workplace Harassment

Former Employee - Professional in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Professional in Austin, TX

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good pay. Fast pace. Very interesting technology. Educated, talented, smart workforce.

Cons

The Korean manager in our department told the group at least 1x/week how much he did not like Americans. We were encouraged to attend department team building dinners off-site where alcohol was served, some employees felt pressured to drink. The work environment is extremely competitive and political, with an established hierarch and pecking order that you better not question or your career will be in jeopardy. Trust and morale is low. The goals are very aggressive and the pace is fast, so people work a lot of hours and burn out is perpetuated.
    1 year at Samsung = 7 dog years in regards to your personal aging and well being. The company prefers young, beautiful, physically fit employees, so the staff is fairly junior. Working at Samsung requires strong emotional intelligence, a thick skin, and a lot of cross cultural competence. In some departments, new ideas and problem solving skills are not valued. A colleague once told me that he felt like he should just check his brain at the door before entering the building.

Advice to Management

Support your staff in having work - life balance.

rewarding, ambitious, work long hours.

Current Employee - Engineer II in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer II in Austin, TX

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Samsung is one of the top electronics companies in the world. There's constantly new technology devices, so you get to be a part of the next big thing to hit the news in several months. The pay is very reasonable and the bonuses are pretty amazing nowadays! Top health benefits and unmatched 401K matching.

Cons

The expectations are very high! You work long hours. Work-Life balance needs improvement though it depends which department you work in and recently it has gotten a lot better than 5 years ago. Being a manufacturing facility, the mindset is different as if you were part of the actual device development or R&D department. Also, it takes time to move up in the company. It's more determined how long you've been there rather than your credentials and work performance.

Advice to Management

Communication is key. Acknowledge your peers and positive attitude will be maintained.

There are newer employer reviews for Samsung Austin Semiconductor