There are newer employer reviews for Samsung Austin Semiconductor

Workplace Harassment

Former Employee - Professional in Austin, TX
Former Employee - Professional in Austin, TX

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good pay. Fast pace. Very interesting technology. Educated, talented, smart workforce.

Cons

The Korean manager in our department told the group at least 1x/week how much he did not like Americans. We were encouraged to attend department team building dinners off-site where alcohol was served, some employees felt pressured to drink. The work environment is extremely competitive and political, with an established hierarch and pecking order that you better not question or your career will be in jeopardy. Trust and morale is low. The goals are very aggressive and the pace is fast, so people work a lot of hours and burn out is perpetuated.
1 year at Samsung = 7 dog years in regards to your personal aging and well being. The company prefers young, beautiful, physically fit employees, so the staff is fairly junior. Working at Samsung requires strong emotional intelligence, a thick skin, and a lot of cross cultural competence. In some departments, new ideas and problem solving skills are not valued. A colleague once told me that he felt like he should just check his brain at the door before entering the building.

Support your staff in having work - life balance.

237 Other Employee Reviews for Samsung Austin Semiconductor (View Most Recent)

rewarding, ambitious, work long hours.

Current Employee - Engineer II in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer II in Austin, TX

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Samsung is one of the top electronics companies in the world. There's constantly new technology devices, so you get to be a part of the next big thing to hit the news in several months. The pay is very reasonable and the bonuses are pretty amazing nowadays! Top health benefits and unmatched 401K matching.

Cons

The expectations are very high! You work long hours. Work-Life balance needs improvement though it depends which department you work in and recently it has gotten a lot better than 5 years ago. Being a manufacturing facility, the mindset is different as if you were part of the actual device development or R&D department. Also, it takes time to move up in the company. It's more determined how long you've been there rather than your credentials and work performance.

Communication is key. Acknowledge your peers and positive attitude will be maintained.

Samsung: Terrible Morale/No Work-Life Balance

Current Employee - Engineer I in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer I in Austin, TX

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Co-workers are amazing. We all sympathize for each other because Samsung sucks. Give it some time and you'll see what I'm saying.

Cons

Computer systems and SOPs are buggy and time consuming to work-around and/or fix. Engineers end up spending most of their time on issues like this and not on real engineering. They eventually quit when they realize that the longer they stay at Samsung the less marketable they become. There is a huge communication gap between the engineers that work on the front line and management. Most trainers have a sink or swim mentality especially when there is no time for training which is most of the time during ramp ups. My advice: DO NOT WORK IN UNIT PARTS. Work for YE, EHS, QA or Facilities or better yet work for a BETTER RATED COMPANY

TRs: Be realistic and think long-term. Don't just give your employees work that is impossible to accomplish and then tell them they can do it in "10 minutes."

Stop beating down on your engineers. We are smart hardworking people with engineering degrees that can often walk right out the door. That's what I did.

Senior Management: Make training and fixing the bugs a priority. Don't just push for trainees to sign tasks off by deadlines. Push the trainers to train in a quality way!!! Push for a work balance. It's worth it in the end. This way you won't lose your experience.

There are newer employer reviews for Samsung Austin Semiconductor