High Tech and High Stress

Current Employee - Engineer II in Austin, TX
Current Employee - Engineer II in Austin, TX

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits and opportunities to travel. The company is big on family events. They put on a Fall Festival every year as well as Company Wide GWP events.

Cons

High stress and poor home work life balance. Organization structure is in a constant state of flux. Engineering positions put in 50 to 55 hrs a week minimum.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Horrible place to work!

Current Employee - Supervisor in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Austin, TX

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time

Pros

Benefits and pay are good. So good they have put many of us in a bind so we cannot leave even though we desperately want to.

Cons

For the most part you have to be Korean or male to move up. That's been proven repeatedly and in several departments.

The turnover is terribly high. They can't keep the good people and many of the good people who stay are because they have to because it's impossible financialy to leave.

The sad part is that departments hold outside events and call them GWP and require individuals to go. Nobody should be made to attend a drinking party or a dinner at a restaurant they don't like or a hockey game they don't care to see, etc. People have families and lives outside of work and should not be forced to attend anything outside of work with people we don't care to share personal time with.

If you don't attend these functions it's held against us in our reviews. And management shows favoritism to the few who choose to go.

Advice to Management

Treat your team with respect. We make you who you are and that is to easily forgotten. Work is work and we should leave it there. You cannot require attendence of employees to functions outside of work and try to call it GWP. That is contradictory. Absolutely nothing about being forced to do something or face consequences makes this a Great WorkPlace!!

Scarily Unethical Career Backwater

Current Employee - Engineering Technician in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Engineering Technician in Austin, TX

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent employee benefits. Corporate social responsibility.

Cons

No advancement opportunity for promotion. Annual salary increase averages less than 2% for "Excellent" performance rating; grossly lagging inflation. Non-exempt positions treated as disposable/replaceable; no investment in employee. Little or no transparency in management practice and communication. Multiple executive and management incidents in sexual harassment, racial and classist favoritism, and breach of company policy as accepted practice. Juvenile social culture. Very high turn-around leaves very little actual talent. Korean business and management practice ineffective with a significantly American workforce.

Advice to Management

Start Over.