There are newer employer reviews for Samsung Austin Semiconductor

Manufacturing

Former Employee - Manufacturing Specialist  in  Austin, TX
Former Employee - Manufacturing Specialist in Austin, TX

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great place to work with little or no experience and hourly pay is decent. Benefits, including bonuses, were decent. Good amount of optional overtime. Good cafeteria, break areas, gym. Work 4 days on, 3 days off, 3 days on, 4 days off.

Cons

Bonuses subject to economic downturns in a highly volatile industry. Gossipy. Work 12 hr shifts. 2008 was a bad year to work there - lots of layoffs soon after

232 Other Employee Reviews for Samsung Austin Semiconductor (View Most Recent)

Very dependent on management

Current Employee - Engineering Technician  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Engineering Technician in Austin, TX

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time for more than a year

Pros

Salary, Benefits, on site Gym.

Cons

The atmosphere at this company is very rigid. There is no room for innovation and you will mostly be treated like you aren't capable of doing your job. This is not true for all departments but it is across the majority of them. Management can make or break the department you are in, as it is in every large company but, more often than not, they break it here. If you are ok with being a number that just pushes buttons and follows SOP's all day then this company is right for you, however, if you enjoy challenging yourself and fair treatment then you need to stay away from this place.

Try to allow your technical workers Engineers/Technicians to do what they are qualified to do. Micromanagement does not serve the tech industry well, especially when its done from a far using computer programs designed to monitor employees. Supervisors should be careful not to only judge employee quality on a set of numbers you pull with an excel macro, you should really be interfacing with your employees.

Horrible place to work!

Current Employee - Supervisor  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Austin, TX

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time

Pros

Benefits and pay are good. So good they have put many of us in a bind so we cannot leave even though we desperately want to.

Cons

For the most part you have to be Korean or male to move up. That's been proven repeatedly and in several departments.

The turnover is terribly high. They can't keep the good people and many of the good people who stay are because they have to because it's impossible financialy to leave.

The sad part is that departments hold outside events and call them GWP and require individuals to go. Nobody should be made to attend a drinking party or a dinner at a restaurant they don't like or a hockey game they don't care to see, etc. People have families and lives outside of work and should not be forced to attend anything outside of work with people we don't care to share personal time with.

If you don't attend these functions it's held against us in our reviews. And management shows favoritism to the few who choose to go.

Treat your team with respect. We make you who you are and that is to easily forgotten. Work is work and we should leave it there. You cannot require attendence of employees to functions outside of work and try to call it GWP. That is contradictory. Absolutely nothing about being forced to do something or face consequences makes this a Great WorkPlace!!

There are newer employer reviews for Samsung Austin Semiconductor

Worked for Samsung Austin Semiconductor? Contribute to the Community!