Samsung Austin Semiconductor
www.samsung.com Austin, TX 1000 to 5000 Employees

Successful engineer, 7+ years with company

Engineer (Current Employee)
Austin, TX

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFantastic benefits. Health insurance is awesome (low out-of-pocket expenses, excellent coverage), cash bonuses and 401K matching are generous (100% vested matching, from day 1), lots of great on-site perks (gym, 2 cafeterias, Seatles Best Coffee Bar, rec rooms with ping pong tables, efc). Fast career growth if you're smart, capable, and self driven (see cons) - you will not be held back. I've been promoted 2 times in my first 5 years with the company and started leading my own engineering team after 6 years. As such, it's a great company for new engineering grads - the learning experiences and training opportunities will set you up well for the future. International travel to Korea has a great balance - it's frequent enough that almost all engineers go at least once, but not too frequent that it impacts your life. I've been twice in 7 years, 5 weeks each trip. What has ultimately kept me here for 7.5 years is the frequent growth opportunities (new projects, new challenges) and upward room for advancement.

ConsWorking at Samsung Austin Semiconductor (SAS) is not for everyone. It is a very demanding and fast paced work environment that can be intimidating to some individuals. Those that are self-driven and seek personal achievement are the ones that typically do the best. You will be given a substantial amount of responsibility and will be expected to succeed at a very high level. Those that do well see their careers accelerated at a very fast rate (you will never complain about being "held back"). Those that prefer a more casual pace will be overwhelmed, lost, and eventually burned-out. On the plus side, I don't feel SAS is a cut-throat work environment. Engineers help each other out without fearing corporate politics or back-stabbing. At the end of the day, this is a high-dollar manufacturing environment, and that combination can be stressful.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'd like to see upper management give their engineers the best possible tools to be successful. Even though Samsung Electronics is a multi billion-dollar, enormous global business, they can still nickel-and-dime their workers in areas that sometimes don't make sense. Company smart phone? (nope) Laptops? (nope) Industry-standard data analysis software packages? (nope). Constraints like this make the fast pace work environment even more difficult to manage.

Never work here

Engineer II (Former Employee)

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Good benefits, lots of PTO that you can never use. Cons: Awful management who never misses the opportunity to abuse their power to intimidate their employees. The directors and VPs are more like a gang.… Advice to Senior Management: Quit and put people with at least a tiny bit of intelligence in… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Great work experience!

MFG Specialist (Current Employee)
Austin, TX

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: Samsung has cutting edge technology, great benefits and good people. Cons: Takes some time for information to get to the specialist… Advice to Senior Management: Communication from management to specialist level takes too long Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Samsung Austin Semiconductor.

Worked for Samsung Austin Semiconductor? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Samsung Austin Semiconductor reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Samsung Austin Semiconductor CEO Dr. Woosung Han. All reviews posted anonymously by Samsung Austin Semiconductor employees.