Samsung Austin Semiconductor

Samsung Equipment Eng

Current Employee - Engineer II in Austin, TX
Current Employee - Engineer II in Austin, TX

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor

Pros

Samsung Austin Semiconductor has a great group of hard working people who make going to work everyday worth while. Good to see a company that can outsource jobs to the USA.

Cons

If you are afraid of hard work or having to put in lots OT at times you may want to find another company to work for.

Internal software leaves much to be desired, there is a alot of wasted time due to some of the half-bake systems that are pushed out.

241 Other Employee Reviews for Samsung Austin Semiconductor (View Most Recent)

Tough, but a good learning experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor

Pros

Great work experience, prepares you for any work environment. Exposure to a wide range of technologies. Lots of opportunities to take on responsibility.

Cons

HR has a tight grip on the company, to the point that the supposed "merit" rewards for performance are very limited. Habitual use of lower level employees for higher level work, due to manpower shortages. Work/Life balance sucks. Constant artificial crisis mentality.

If you are going to subscribe to a performance metric such as Great Work Place, mean it. Don't just pay lip service to it. Manpower shortages and unrealistic deadlines just lead to employee burnout. Value your employees as a company resource as much as you do your tools and equipment.

Good place to work, but going back to school

Former Employee - Engineer I in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Engineer I in Austin, TX

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor

Pros

High tech and continuous challenge from new products all the time, good teamwork in my department, a lot of responsibility even for new engineers

Cons

Long working hours - but this seems to be improving, some goals are so high that I think it might not be possible to ever get there, top management in engineering was not approachable - but this has recently changed as well

When I joined, I was still considering an advanced degree. I was hoping that working a few years would change my mind. The last few years were tough - mostly due to the bad economy, but the company cut a lot of benefits to try to keep making a profit; I wish there had been another way. I started to consider going back to school seriously in 2009 along with many who joined with me. Many of the senior engineers got depressed from constant negative feedback (beat downs). New management for engineering is much better, but I had already decided to go back to school so that change came too late for me. I think it is better new for new engineers and current employees. I wish everyone the best; I learned a lot.

There are newer employer reviews for Samsung Austin Semiconductor