Inapropriate Work Load and Not Enough Staff

Current Employee - Zookeeper in San Antonio, TX
Current Employee - Zookeeper in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at San Antonio ZOO full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The animals of course! Its great to learn about creatures you have never heard of before. My favorite appearance was learning training techniques through positive reinforcement. These techniques are useful in your everyday life when dealing with people or children. I loved the babies born and monitoring their growth.

Cons

Upper Management. They did not listen to the keepers advice. Those of us who worked closely with the animals day in & day out. It was common to put our lives and the animals live at risk, There have been avoidable deaths and sexual harassment.

Advice to Management

Management needs to take care of the people who work for them. It is one of the lowest paying zoos in the nation.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Zoo Camp counselor

Former Employee - Zoo Camp Counselor in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Zoo Camp Counselor in San Antonio, TX

I worked at San Antonio ZOO full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun Environment! Everyone is happy to be working there from zoo keepers to concession sales to management, it's a great community to be a part of. I especially loved the education department where I got to work with the kids and teach them the importance of animal and environmental conservation. The SA zoo works so hard to keep the animals happy, healthy, and the guests love it! Plus, a lot of redevelopment and renovation has been going on recently furthering the guest experience.

Cons

In particular, the education department facilities are VERY outdated.

2. Concession Clerk

I worked at San Antonio ZOO

Pros

Cool place to work, coworkers, opportunity to learn a lot. If you can, work somewhere other than food service at the zoo.

Cons

Rude management, not enough training for some, not enough faith in workers, low pay, always moving from one stand to another for work each day. Some stability would have been nice.

Advice to Management

Be nicer to your workers. The customers aren't always right, contrary to popular belief.