San Diego State University

There are newer employer reviews for San Diego State University

Graduate Student Scraping Every Penny

Current Employee - Graduate Student Research Assistant in San Diego, CA
Current Employee - Graduate Student Research Assistant in San Diego, CA

I have been working at San Diego State University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Freedom to pursue you ideas given the right mentor.

Cons

May have to take out loans if not enough funding from principle investigator.

88 Other Employee Reviews for San Diego State University (View Most Recent)

From Student Assistant to Administrative Support Assistant

Former Employee - Administrative Support Assistant in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative Support Assistant in San Diego, CA

I worked at San Diego State University full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great benefits and opportunity to further education.

Cons

Very little room for growth and understaffed in certain departments making it harder to provide adequate services to students.

You'll get sucked in by the benefits, but don't get too comfortable.

Current Employee - Administrative Analyst
    Current Employee - Administrative Analyst

I have been working at San Diego State University full-time

Pros

Health and retirement benefits are good. You can get sucked in by them. Co-workers are generally pleasant. Managers (with some exceptions) seem to be flexible regarding work/life issues.

Cons

Your starting salary, unless you have an "in" with someone high up, is going to be at the bottom of the hiring range, and you will stay there for YEARS. Your salary increases depend on what the staff union negotiates. Good luck with that. We've had a 1.4% increase since 2007. I have a master's degree and am still near the bottom of my pay range. The California State University is hostile to the staff union, and, on top of that, SDSU HR will fight against most in-range progressions and reclassifications (which both earn you salary increases). However, HR will be happy to rewrite your current job description with new duties you've been doing that should have earned you the raise you requested, and then tell you to sign it, so that way, you are doing the new duties without getting the raise. Really. I've seen this happen twice recently. If you do not have a boss who truly supports you AND has a backbone AND has some pull with HR and the budget people, you aren't going to advance in salary.

When employees leave, their positions usually go unfilled, and the work is dumped on the remaining employee(s), almost always with no additional compensation, often with empty promises of future compensation to that will never materialize.

On the rare occasion when an employee leaves, and the position is opened, the position is dropped from in rank and salary from the classification that it was when the previous employee held it. So the new person will be expected to do the same job (if not with more duties, because, hey, s/he's new, what does s/he know?), for very reduced pay.

Advancement within the university seems more who you know than your experience and competency. I've seen dedicated employees of many, many years get turned down for jobs/promotions that they've been qualified for, while outsiders with fewer qualifications have been hired...and, the current employee has been expected to train the new employee (his/her boss).

I'd like to say stop rewarding your way too many chiefs with raises when your staff deserves raises and recognition, but I know that won't happen.

There are newer employer reviews for San Diego State University