San Manuel Indian Bingo & Casino

www.sanmanuel.com
  www.sanmanuel.com
There are newer employer reviews for San Manuel Indian Bingo & Casino

Good starting point for a career in gaming but very limited growth potential

Former Employee - Banking Dealer in Highland, CA
Former Employee - Banking Dealer in Highland, CA

I worked at San Manuel Indian Bingo & Casino

Pros

The best thing about working at San Manuel was the Christmas Bonus. I got one every year I worked there and it made you feel very appreciated. There was also grocery gift cards at Thanksgiving. It seemed like the Indian Tribe cared for the employees and even offered scholarships for school as well as full benefits and retirement, even to part time employees. There were also summer concerts with current big name performers that were free to employees and family as well as great company picnics at major venues throughout Southern Cal. Good money when casino was new/ economy was good, that dwindled the last couple years. Most co-workers were friendly.

Cons

As caring as the Tribe seemed to be, the Dept. Management I worked for was equally uncaring. Department Director was never visible and the department was always the last to adapt to changing gaming climate. Management style is reactive instead of proactive and it resulted in a lot of decisions that didn't seem to make a whole lot of sense. Communication was a joke, upper management never conveyed anything to the front line employees and often only participated in "crash courses" in customer service with little follow up and even less competence in forging new ideas. Managers of different shifts each had different sets of rules and there was no existence of an official rules & procedure manual to adhere to . Scheduling was a mystery, worked here for some time and still not sure how schedules were distributed. Department goals/ strategies were never communicated and even yearly certification meetings were given less than a couple days notice. Department recognition was non existent (except in the company newsletter which was done by another dept). Extremely smokey/bad smelling casino, even after moving into a new "state of the art" facility in Mid 2000's.

Scheduling needs to be open for bid. An open process of deciding who gets what schedule is fair and clear and eliminates animosity and gossip. Communication lines should be open from the top down and back up again. Make sure all shifts are on the same page and that all supervisors are enforcing/following the same procedures. It makes everybody look better, especially to customers. LIsten to ideas from front line employees as they are the face of the company and the ones who have the pulse of the public. Transparency and Communication are the two most lacking areas of the department, often leaving employees guessing which procedures to follow and what direction the dept. is following.

16 Other Employee Reviews for San Manuel Indian Bingo & Casino (View Most Recent)

San Manuel's Diversity

Former Employee - What Was Great About SAN Manuel in Highland, CA
    Former Employee - What Was Great About SAN Manuel in Highland, CA

I worked at San Manuel Indian Bingo & Casino

Pros

I work there while in college, and since have graduated and moved on to a better paying position and on my life. The best thing about working at San Manuel is the diversity of all the employees. The majority of the people that work here are all locals within a 5 mile radius (just as I), and the area is majority lower class Hispanics. So you don't see any diversity at all living around here. The management at San Manuel keeps the staff here amazingly diverse. Working here, I got to work around so many different cultures and people. A large number of Asians, lots of whites, blacks, people from India, and even Oriental ethnic groups from India! Many Polynesians, a few Middle Eastern people. People from Africa, and even a few Australian and English immigrants with accents and all. All from different age ranges from 18 to 70. Its really heaven sent to work around such diversity especially when you live in the surrounding area, and that's what I loved about San Manuel.

Cons

The only cons I disliked was, since it was a casino, open 24/7, you work odd hours, and never have the weekend off.

San Manuel helped me grow up a lot.

Former Employee - Food Runner in Highland, CA
    Former Employee - Food Runner in Highland, CA

I worked at San Manuel Indian Bingo & Casino

Pros

My fellow employees were great, the customers were really nice, the tips were good on days and there was alot of team work.

Cons

The managers are incompetent and uneducated, the manager treat the employees like crap, and as food runner you don't make as much tips as any other job in the casino.

Go get a business education, because just being promoted based on how long you been there and education is not working out for you.

There are newer employer reviews for San Manuel Indian Bingo & Casino