There are newer employer reviews for San Mateo County

It was wonderful and I was sorry my contract was up.

Former Employee - Scanning Tech in San Mateo, CA
Former Employee - Scanning Tech in San Mateo, CA

I worked at San Mateo County part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people, they were always willing to help you and show you knew ways to learn other assignments.

Cons

None it was a great place to work

Advice to Management

None, I had great managers

Other Employee Reviews for San Mateo County

Disastrous leadership in Human Services Agency

Current Employee - Social Worker in Belmont, CA
    Current Employee - Social Worker in Belmont, CA

I have been working at San Mateo County full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Public service, if you want to help families, vets, kids, then a county job is a good way to reach a lot of people.

Cons

Under the most recent director, HSA has slipped from being one of the best to one of the worst. Insiders (family members, sycophants) are promoted above people who are focused on doing their work. Panel interviews are used to undermine civil service procedures and advance applicants who have neither the work history, education nor background.

Advice to Management

Many managers were hired by the outgoing director, so, like her, they don't have degrees or experience in their field, so I guess they should fire themselves or each other, and get some really good consultants, preferably people with experience. Most of the directors at HSA have zero experience in their fields.

Innovation minded candidates need not apply

Former Employee - Employment Services Specialist in Belmont, CA
    Former Employee - Employment Services Specialist in Belmont, CA

I worked at San Mateo County full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Government Job with defined lifetime benefit compensation pension plan. If you don't mind repetitive work environment that requires little mental fortitude this is your place. If you are looking for a non-dynamic work environment with the stability of an aircraft carrier in a calm sea this your place. The civil service employment process allows non-degree applicants access to obtain a living wage.

Cons

They haven't had a raise in 8 years! Career mobility based on favoritism not talent. I would describe the majority of employees as good people who care about those in need of a temporary hand-up to get back on their feet. In these lean economic times many middle class families found themselves in a vulnerable economic situations and HSA was there to help. You may not get the comparable private sector wage but it pays more then most non-profits and you derive a great since of satisfaction from assisting others.

Advice to Management

Challenge yourself to be innovative and design implement programs and processes that have a positive measurable impact upon long-term poverty in the Bay Area. Just dulling out standardized aid payments is better than no safety net but I think society would benefit more from a safety trampoline that allows you to spring forward and upward more quickly.