There are newer employer reviews for SandRidge Energy

Great place to work, as long as you are not management

Current Employee - Lease Analyst in Oklahoma City, OK
Current Employee - Lease Analyst in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at SandRidge Energy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Wonderful benefits, laid back atmosphere (at least in my department), but very professional and respectful. Supervisors care about making employees happy and also getting employees to do the best work possible and to work hard for your salary. We don't do "one job per person" like Chesapeake. We get a lot of opportunities to learn many different aspects of the industry. I've been given lots of continuing education opportunities free of charge, and my supervisor is eager to let me grow and be challenged in my role. Upward mobility is always moving, I never feel trapped or stifled. Our building is really nice, as well, and plans for the city block look really good. They are changing the face of downtown OKC just like Devon has. They also offer many philanthropic opportunities, if you are into that. (I like doing outreach after work, not during my work day, but hey, they're giving back, right?)

Cons

They refuse to call the January 2013 layoff a "layoff". The CEO even denied it in his company address, and then remarked he made 5 million dollars less than the year before. (He's a great CEO, but they're all detached, rich, old white guys, ya know?) A lot of the management team or upperclass executives like landmen are given bad information from lower down the ladder because of fear or intimidation. I wish the landmen had consistent work and did not switch territories all the time. Changing everything up makes it confusing for three times more people down the ladder. I think landmen/engineers/geologists would be more understanding of the people underneath them, and less condescending if they didn't demand we change it up with them. The good news - They are cleaning up a lot of the mess from old management right now.

Advice to Management

Advice to Management: Make sure the landmen know who to contact about their problems. Instead of awkward get-togethers in the break room, maybe have smaller meetings with a couple landmen and a couple analysts and techs so that we can go through problems and questions faster, and face-to-face.

reviews filtered by

CEO can't be trusted, is greedy, and doesn't see anything wrong with making $25MM/year

I worked at SandRidge Energy full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Nice fringe benefits: Thunder tickets, gym on-site, discounts at local restaurants

Cons

Completely unpredictable management decisions. Zero structure in certain departments, resulting in no accountability for any level of employee. Most policies literally seem to be made up as they go along. HR is full of 20-something girls who don't have the slightest clue about either the oil and gas business or how to run an HR department.

Advice to Management

Figure out what you want to do and do it. Stop trying to trim costs when it comes to employees, while not being willing to give up your ridiculous salaries. Don't tell people you're worth $25 million dollars the week after you've just laid off almost 60 people. And don't deny that over 60 people losing their jobs is a layoff to begin with.

2. Run away

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at SandRidge Energy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay, great benefits, central location in downtown, and several opportunities to give back to the community, and tickets to the OKC Thunder.

Cons

This company had a lot of potential. Due to poor management in Accounting and other areas, the morale and good people have all left the building. Repeated complaints to HR from several different people regarding the same issues in different departments goes in one ear and out the other. The upper management is totally disconnected from reality and if you like micro managers, this place is for you. Even recruiters know their reputation and it just keeps getting worse. They brag about community involvement yet allow management to treat their people poorly. It's not worth the $$. There are several good companies in OKC that have a positive work environment. Look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Not sure there is any advice to give middle/upper management except you treat your people terribly. I used to think that Tom was good, but he's let this continue with constant turnover and complaints to HR.

There are newer employer reviews for SandRidge Energy