There are newer employer reviews for Sandia

Big company, great people, slow pace.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Livermore, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Livermore, CA

I have been working at Sandia

Pros

good pay, work/life balance, love the people.

Cons

too many rules that don't make sense. The paper-pushers have way too much power.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Okay place to work

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Sandia

Pros

A lot of really bright people work at Sandia, and most of them are level headed. Salary is great compared to other companies I could work at in the Albuquerque area.

Cons

Performance review is straight out of Dilbert cartoons. It's a yearly ritual, and has close to zero benefit for anyone. This was my first year and it was very depressing to realize how in the dark my manager was about my work, and how little he was doing to try and understand it. Also, unlike other labs (i.e., LANL and LLNL), Sandia managers have little to nothing to do with technical work, so it's hard to tell what they do with their time.

If you want to be a postdoc, do it at a national lab, not a university.

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Appointee in Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Appointee in Livermore, CA

I have been working at Sandia

Pros

- Options for flexible work hours - 9/80 schedule, flextime
    - For a postdoc, salary is good, you don't have to teach undergrads, your PI looks after the funding, and you can work on research with clear industrial applications (I think this situates me well for my next job)
    - Engineering and science research organizations work together well - I don't feel there is competition, it feels like we are complementary
    - Workplace activities: I make use of onsite Toastmasters, gym, training and development
    - For researchers, it seems like there are a lot of avenues to pursue interesting research that meets DOE needs.

Cons

- Salaries seem to be at the mercy of Congress. A 2-yr salary freeze for the DOE complex was announced shortly after I arrived.
    - Funding levels and project budgets are at the mercy of Congress and DOE
    - Cumbersome safety/health bureaucracy: I get that it's necessary so we can set a good example as consumers of taxpayer dollars, but some thing, like procedures for disposal of lab waste, are not well thought out.
    - Cumbersome information security bureaucracy: I get that it's necessary, but the rules are numerous and complex enough that few fully understand them.
    - Information is highly compartmentalized - I get that it's necessary, but this is challenging for someone like me who is motivated by seeing how my work contributes to the mission and fits into the big picture

Advice to Management

Do everything you can to set a good example of positivity and high morale. I have detected a note of negativity among staff members in response to things like salary freezes, extra safety/health procedures, etc, and when managers joiin in the grumbling, it just seems demotivating, especially to new hires. Managers should set the tone by not standing for such negativity.