Sandia

www.sandia.gov

Good Place to Grow (for a few years)

R&D Scientist/Engineer (Current Employee) Albuquerque, NM

Pros-Flexible hours, 9/80 schedule, extended learning and conference time
-Internal funding opportunities (LDRD)
-Organization invests in people and develops their skills and abilities
-Challenging and interesting work / research
-Great outdoor opportunities, low taxes in NM
-Beats the pants off of academic research: professional environment, decent compensation, worker safety.
-You will be the "1%" in NM with your average salary. Easy to save money here. No pressure to keep up with the Joneses.

Cons-Minuscule raises and bonuses: no financial incentive to work hard.
-Can't retain star employees. Revolving door (3-5 yrs) for good people.
-Organization increasingly lacks purpose, vision and direction since end of nuclear testing.
-Internal research funding is all about who you know, not fairly awarded. Requires used car salesman tactics to get funded.
-Too many managers and employees are terrible at their job. No incentive to excel, the only incentive is to avoid making safety/security/ethics mistakes. The best way to never make a mistake on the job is to never do anything!
-Funding shifting from NNSA to competitive, soft money contract grants like a university.
-Cost of doing business is SO HIGH that your contract bids / grant proposals are not competitive with your competition. SNL has priced itself out of the research market, soon the defense market.
-Declining federal spending does not bode well for organization.
-Stupid GPA hiring requirement turns away multitudes of excellent candidates.
-Located in small city where it is difficult for two well educated people to both find good jobs.
-Not much going on in city of Albuquerque.
-Public schools are poor compared to CA, MA, NY, CT, etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of problematic GPA hiring requirement, don't be afraid to fire worthless managers/employees, increase % of compensation as bonuses, lower cost of doing business so that we are competitive, try harder to retain talent.

As funding shifts to competitive contracts/grants, costs need to come down. Otherwise, we are not able to compete. In particular, expecting us to compete with university research that costs literally 1/10th the amount we do (and doesn't have 1/4 the bureaucracy and security) is not a viable business model.

Great Work Life Balance

I have been working at Sandia full-time for less than a year

Pros: Amazing benefits and work schedule Lots of Air Force Base ammenities Well… Cons: Slow movement up Small but steady raises More difficult to stand out by hard work (good… Advice to Senior Management: I would recommend to management to keep expectations high and to not allow any employees to… More

Student Intern

Student (Current Employee) Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Sandia as an intern for more than 5 years

Pros: Working with Sandia has been one of the best jobs I could have landed starting my college career. I have been lucky enough to work… Cons: Clerical and Technical students are at a very different pay grade not… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Sandia.

Worked for Sandia? Contribute to the Community!