Sandia

There are newer employer reviews for Sandia

Financial Analyst

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Albuquerque, NM
Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Sandia full-time (more than a year)

Pros

great work/life balance and nice benefits

Cons

government work so always politics to deal with

208 Other Employee Reviews for Sandia (View Most Recent)

Excellent work-life balance

I worked at Sandia as an intern

Pros

All the employees are very friendly and helpful. The work is engaging and stimulating. Although I was just an intern, I was under the impression that managers care alot about the staff researchers they lead.

Cons

The only downside of working at Sandia is the limited work sites, however, this is a common with all other research jobs at the National Laboratories.

Good Place to Grow (for a few years)

Current Employee - R&D Scientist/Engineer in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - R&D Scientist/Engineer in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Sandia full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-Flexible hours, 9/80 schedule, extended learning and conference time
    -Internal funding opportunities (LDRD)
    -Organization invests in people and develops their skills and abilities
    -Challenging and interesting work / research
    -Great outdoor opportunities, low taxes in NM
    -Beats the pants off of academic research: professional environment, decent compensation, worker safety.
    -You will be the "1%" in NM with your average salary. Easy to save money here. No pressure to keep up with the Joneses.

Cons

-Minuscule raises and bonuses: no financial incentive to work hard.
    -Can't retain star employees. Revolving door (3-5 yrs) for good people.
    -Organization increasingly lacks purpose, vision and direction since end of nuclear testing.
    -Internal research funding is all about who you know, not fairly awarded. Requires used car salesman tactics to get funded.
    -Too many managers and employees are terrible at their job. No incentive to excel, the only incentive is to avoid making safety/security/ethics mistakes. The best way to never make a mistake on the job is to never do anything!
    -Funding shifting from NNSA to competitive, soft money contract grants like a university.
    -Cost of doing business is SO HIGH that your contract bids / grant proposals are not competitive with your competition. SNL has priced itself out of the research market, soon the defense market.
    -Declining federal spending does not bode well for organization.
    -Stupid GPA hiring requirement turns away multitudes of excellent candidates.
    -Located in small city where it is difficult for two well educated people to both find good jobs.
    -Not much going on in city of Albuquerque.
    -Public schools are poor compared to CA, MA, NY, CT, etc.

Get rid of problematic GPA hiring requirement, don't be afraid to fire worthless managers/employees, increase % of compensation as bonuses, lower cost of doing business so that we are competitive, try harder to retain talent.

As funding shifts to competitive contracts/grants, costs need to come down. Otherwise, we are not able to compete. In particular, expecting us to compete with university research that costs literally 1/10th the amount we do (and doesn't have 1/4 the bureaucracy and security) is not a viable business model.

There are newer employer reviews for Sandia