Not bad

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Appointee in Albuquerque, NM
Current Employee - Postdoctoral Appointee in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Sandia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you're here for research, there's a great community of knowledgeable people to learn from. The pay is good, and the job security is good if you can make the conversion to staff.

Cons

Management often interferes more than they help. The work-life balance was not so great, and there's always the scrabble to find enough funding to stay employed, particularly during the currently tight times.

Advice to Management

Vet your lower managers better.

Other Employee Reviews for Sandia

Good people, but boring beauracratic business

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Livermore, CA

I have been working at Sandia full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of fun activities organized by the workforce outside of work hours, but not in a way where anybody holds things against you if you don't choose to participate. Most people are relaxed and patient, and politics seem to at least be handled civilly. Others give you your space, which I have mixed feelings about.

Cons

As I become more acquainted with the business, I see the numerous organizations and bureaucracy that make achieving anything in a reasonable time impossible. Requirements are subject to change years into work. Though the hands-off approach might be out of fear of micromanaging (positive), I feel a visit from my manager of more than a couple times of month might spark some motivation. I generally get bored and read the news because I think no one cares and requirements will likely change soon anyway... so why bother? Also, the training process in regards to the big picture can be slow. In my group, the training on the actual work was good, but getting context is slow. I don't blame that on the people as much as on the complexity of the "complex."

Advice to Management

The advice I would give is to push hard against the government bureaucracy. There are so many layers and organizations to field a product to drive one bonkers and make product time lines infinite. I don't know if management has much power here, but that's what makes work rough.

Good company with good work

I have been working at Sandia full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good culture on mission side Good work Good people

Cons

The mission support organizations are bureaucratic and not focused on supporting the mission Some trending towards compliance without regard to effectiveness

Advice to Management

Reorient the missino support to focus on supporting the mission instead of process