There are newer employer reviews for Santa Barbara City College

Great school and great people to work with

I have been working at Santa Barbara City College

Pros

Colleagues are friendly and drama free. With great benefit. Sunshine and beach just outside of your office.

Cons

There are no cons, salary can't competition with private company. Too nice temperature and environment that puts you into sleep.

15 Other Employee Reviews for Santa Barbara City College (View Most Recent)

Good Place to Work with Limited Benefits

Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Santa Barbara, CA
    Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at Santa Barbara City College part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

* People, for the most part, are great to work with.
    * Lori Gaskin, the school's president, does a great job at the helm. I hope she stays.
    * Helping students work to improve their lives is rewarding.
    * If a person teaches well, he/she is able to better keep up with the changes in the subject matter taught and share with others.

Cons

* Working with the general population of a society can be challenging at times.
    * As an adjunct, I have no say in the curricula of the course. I don't want to change it, but instead add to it. My Chair is not receptive to suggestions. Not all Chairs are like this though. It is a department by department situation.
    * As an adjunct, the benefits of the job are limited. There is no 401K matching. One will need to work here for years consistently to qualify for insurance.
    * The opportunity for promotions is also limited. This is the nature of working for a school though as an adjunct. There are only a few full time positions available.
    * Pay for an adjunct is below what a full time person makes for the same amount of hours worked.

Thanks for keeping us up to date with the Monday Morning Updates, Lori. Please keep up the great work!
    Chairs, listen to your adjuncts, they work the front line too have have great ideas to share.

From the president on down, the truth is unimportant!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at Santa Barbara City College full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There is really nothing positive about working on this campus except for the location.

Cons

The union for the staff is ineffective. Supervisors as well as the President are only interested in their own position at the school. The cheerleader mentality of the President and Human Resources is a façade of uncaring and apathetic individuals.
     Once you are off of probation you are in for life no matter of your performance on the job. However, if you promote to a higher position you are back on probation. Then your position is at the whimsy of whatever supervisor you may be working under! I say whimsy because there is no real basis for how well you do or don't do your job. Often there are supervisors that ridicule you and are religiously highly inappropriate. It's all about whether or not the supervisor and director likes you. This becomes a problem when the director was hired after you.
    The president as well as HR is uninterested in the truth. They are all drones in a meaningless hierarchy that espouses the chain of command. However, when it comes down to it, they believe a director, whom latter proves to be worthy of getting fired!
    I would not recommend this campus to anyone who values their self-respect. As I see it the only positive position would be a faculty position with tenure.

Individuals matter regardless of their position at the school. To trust a director is to put your head in the sand and prove your apathy for all to see! To do nothing about righting a wrong except placating the individual with kind and meaningless words is proof that you truly don’t care about truth!

There are newer employer reviews for Santa Barbara City College