Santa Barbara City College

There are newer employer reviews for Santa Barbara City College

Best Place to Work

Former Employee - Nurses Aid in Santa Barbara, CA
Former Employee - Nurses Aid in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at Santa Barbara City College as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Excellent communication between staff members and students who work for them. Everyone is friendly and appreciative of those who work there.It is inspiring to work for the #1 college in the nation. The instructors are interesting and enthusiastic about the work they do and their enthusiasm is energizing. When you work around professionals that love what they do it is a very positive environment.

Cons

I cannot think of anything that would be considered a drawback to working for the Allied Health Dept. associated with Santa Barbara City College. The campus is located in such a beautiful place with mostly ideal weather that even walking around campus you can't help but feel the positive atmosphere.

Keep up the excellent work both inspiring students and working with your wonderful example of professionalism as well as encouragement for all who are fortunate enough to have worked with you.

15 Other Employee Reviews for Santa Barbara City College (View Most Recent)

Great school and great people to work with

I have been working at Santa Barbara City College

Pros

Colleagues are friendly and drama free. With great benefit. Sunshine and beach just outside of your office.

Cons

There are no cons, salary can't competition with private company. Too nice temperature and environment that puts you into sleep.

Good Place to Work with Limited Benefits

Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Santa Barbara, CA
    Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at Santa Barbara City College part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

* People, for the most part, are great to work with.
    * Lori Gaskin, the school's president, does a great job at the helm. I hope she stays.
    * Helping students work to improve their lives is rewarding.
    * If a person teaches well, he/she is able to better keep up with the changes in the subject matter taught and share with others.

Cons

* Working with the general population of a society can be challenging at times.
    * As an adjunct, I have no say in the curricula of the course. I don't want to change it, but instead add to it. My Chair is not receptive to suggestions. Not all Chairs are like this though. It is a department by department situation.
    * As an adjunct, the benefits of the job are limited. There is no 401K matching. One will need to work here for years consistently to qualify for insurance.
    * The opportunity for promotions is also limited. This is the nature of working for a school though as an adjunct. There are only a few full time positions available.
    * Pay for an adjunct is below what a full time person makes for the same amount of hours worked.

Thanks for keeping us up to date with the Monday Morning Updates, Lori. Please keep up the great work!
    Chairs, listen to your adjuncts, they work the front line too have have great ideas to share.

There are newer employer reviews for Santa Barbara City College