There are newer employer reviews for Santa Cruz Biotechnology

Good first job to gain experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Cruz, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Cruz, CA

I worked at Santa Cruz Biotechnology part-time

Pros

Santa Cruz Biotechnology hired me for a part-time job as a bachelor's student, which I could not say that other companies in the area would do. I was pretty quickly promoted. My coworkers were very friendly to me and I felt that if I had worked there for longer, we would have become friends. I had flexible hours, and I found that the type of tasks I did allowed me to free my mind up to think about other things (remember that Einstein was a patent clerk!). I learned some valuable skills similar to those of a lab technician.

Cons

The pay is not very high. As a bachelor's student, you start out in Lab Support, which can be physically tiring/boring. However, the other departments I worked in were more interesting. Sometimes some of the employees were not acting professional enough and that made me uncomfortable. The cake/bagel days did nothing for me, as I'm not keen on junk food.

-SCBT allegedly needs to improve on the animal welfare front. http://www.mercurynews.com/business/ci_21565547/usda-files-complaint-against-santa-cruz-biotechnology-alleging
-instead of cake and bagel day, have eggs benedict, steak tartare, or oyster bar day. Or maybe tacos.

54 Other Employee Reviews for Santa Cruz Biotechnology (View Most Recent)

Company does not value their employees

Former Employee - Research Assistant in Paso Robles, CA
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Paso Robles, CA

I worked at Santa Cruz Biotechnology full-time

Pros

Good place to get some experience. Young, down-to-earth co-workers. Flexible work hours. Free food days.

Cons

Little to know chance for advancement/raise. Very inconsistent treatment based on department you work in. Very stressful work environment. No positive feedback. No reward for exceptional work. Work load that forces many people to work through their breaks. Cheap/defective equipment in the labs. Many employees made to feel insignificant and not valued.

An "ok" experience

Former Employee - Research Associate in Paso Robles, CA
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Paso Robles, CA

I worked at Santa Cruz Biotechnology full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free food once a week. Work life/balance exists because you hardly do work at all. Friendly young staff, easy to learn the position, can move around departments when theres an opening (which is always available).

Cons

Poor poor pay and no raises. If you move departments, still, no raises. Benefits are horrible. You master the "skills" in a week, , super high turnover rate. CEO does not communicate with the staff. Supervisors (not all) lie, treat you poorly, and do not contribute to the work. They even admit that if you can find a better job, then take it. Company is trying to expand into other fields like selling chemicals, but the business is very shady. No research is done in this company, just production.

CEO, invest into your employees instead of expanding into a shady business and feeding them junk food. Supervisors, tell the CEO the truth instead of saying employees are satisfied with what they have. Improve and invest in your employees.

There are newer employer reviews for Santa Cruz Biotechnology