Sapient

There are newer employer reviews for Sapient

Resource

Former Employee - RESOURCE in Chicago, IL
Former Employee - RESOURCE in Chicago, IL

I worked at Sapient full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There is nothing good which I can say as "Pros", unfortunately.

Cons

Hiring - They pay more salary to attract people. They also attract by paying joining bonus. Dont go with these two factors.

Interview - During the interview and even in the websute, they claim that Sapient is a consulting firm, they work only on niche projects, quality projects etc. All this is untrue and crap stories. 70% or even more projects are support projects and the word "Niche" is nowhere nearer. The director who hired few of us, even lied to us stating that the project has alsready come and Sapient has signed and we have to start the project and also we have given your names to the projects etc. All this was lie. Get all these confirmation in mail, so that you are not made "Sapient Bakra" like "MTv Bakra".

Staffing: This is very crap process and in most of the blogs you might have already read about this. But very important point is, you will be hired by a director for a specific practise, but there is no guarantee you will be part of the same practise after you are onboarded. You will be put into bench and you will start feeling the pressure shortly and then you will be in a situation where you will accept any project which comes through your way. Also, your director will tell stories stating that, you just be part of this project for three months or short term and you will be taken into the same practise which you were hired for. But the fact is you are already make scape goat and you will not know when you will get rolled off from that project. Even by gods grace, if you get rolled off or even if the project gets over, then also its for sure that you will be put on bench and not made/included as part of the practise.

Project Roll off: Though as a individual, if you dont like the project, you will never get rolled off easily, unless you have a god father in the office. The only way is for you to find a job elsewhere outside Sapient.

Bench Count: Sapient wants and prefers to have a very minimum bench count and its a good idea. But, not at the cost of firing resources. Instead, the senior management team should look at this factor and try to get more business so that the bench count is managed low and not by firing resources.

Credibality/Brand Image: Every company strive to build their brand image in industry, but Sapient management hasnt even thinking of this I suppose. Brand name doesnt come for free and it takes ages. Sapient has to revive their hiring model and ensure they hire people when they can ensure job security to that candidate.

Need to do chamchagiri to be on some practise and not on bench. Also, to get some good project or onsite opportunity. Some blue eyed boys of the director get bonus, promotion and they will also not be questioned by staffing team and they always get the necessary protection required for not getting fired., But, those who would have strived hard on project and complete it and when then look out for new project, then they will not be given the best opportunity and also would be tortured mentally if there are not many projects. The staffing team starts pesturing the bench team to get onto projects where there are no projects in hand. So, those who are on bench for more than 3 months, will start looking out for job, which is lot easier to find than internally.

The internal attrition is more than the average industry standard attrition and the main factor is job insecurity.

1. Build some policy and guidelines in hiring and managing bench count.
2. Dont fire resources unless its performance related
3. Those who get fired for not getting new projects, obviously create collateral damage to the company's brand image, which is quite expensive and more disastrous for any company.
4. While hiring, hire a resource as part of a practise. Say for example "testing". Then the resource has to be tagged to only testing projects and even without any projects, the resource should be tagged to Testing itself and should not be enforecd to move to some other practise.
5. Bring more quality projects. If you cant bring, then dont boast saying that Sapient is a player in niche technology and projects. Accept the fact in front of industry.
6. Send a survey to all employees and ask them only one question. Do they feel their jobs are secure at Sapient. Hopefully, you will realize the fact at least after looking at the survey results.
7. Once you stop the firing policy, then you start publishing about this to the wider auidence even outside the office and also to the allumini resources. Its not the staffing or hiring or the director who should be taking the decision to fire any resource. It should be the company C-Executive. Either CEO, COO or CTO only can take this decision, because they are the best people to judge the collateral damage which would be caused by firing resources.

Once you implement all the above, I think even if Sapient dont pay best salary in the market, just becuase the job security would be high, many would think of joining Sapient. Today, if anyone says that he/she is joining Sapient, then the first thing they would get as response is, "Really, hope you are not taking risk of joining such a company which fires resources anytime".

Those who are at manaement level, is this what you prefer to hear about your firm? Dont allow people to join Sapient for money or as a stop over opportunity to increase their salary.

Lets hope, someone looking at this blog, does act upon this rather than worrying about me, who expressed my view about Sapient. I am not creating any damage here, rather trying to speak what many Sapient people are not able to speak out loudly.

833 Other Employee Reviews for Sapient (View Most Recent)

A fun and creative workplace

Current Employee - Interactive Developer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Interactive Developer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Sapient full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You get to work on great and innovative projects for major companies. The environment is fun and creative. The people are nice and are always willing to help.

Cons

I have not been able to find very many downsides to Sapient for my personality type. Some projects really challenge you and your abilities. I find that as a pro but some people may not.

Great company changing how agencies are defined

I worked at Sapient

Pros

Great work with interesting clients. Cutting edge solutions. Above and below the line marketing.

Cons

No cons for me. Great place to work

Keep redefining the space.

There are newer employer reviews for Sapient