Satellites Unlimited

www.suicareers.com
  www.suicareers.com
There are newer employer reviews for Satellites Unlimited

The best company I have worked for- the employees reap the rewards of success.

Current Employee - Trainer in Birmingham, AL
Current Employee - Trainer in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Satellites Unlimited full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Let me start by saying that this is the best company I have worked for. I have worked for the company where your growth was easier based on your looks or how well you were liked. I have worked for the company that dangles the carrot, promising if you keep doing something a little longer you will finally make it. You end up questioning whether or not you should stay, hoping to see all your efforts recognized. I was surprised when I started at SUI because I had never worked for a company that was managed the right way. This company actually cares about your growth rather than that of the upper management because they know that the key to their success starts at the bottom and goes up. The average technician makes around $40,000 a year. There are technicians here that make $60,000 - $100,000 a year. So you have to ask yourself, how average do you want to be? That’s the great thing about working here; you get to decide how much money you make.
Here are some of the best things about being a technician at SUI.
• Family owned company
• Great benefits
• Tenure pay increases
• Weekly bonus plan
• Company vehicle, gas, and tools provided
• Paid training (No experience required)
• Company uniforms and boot program
• Leave your house every morning and go straight to your first job, not the office
• Scenery always changes. Not stuck in an office, warehouse, factory, construction site etc…
• Best of all, the pay. There are numerous ways to earn money.

Cons

Here are some truths about this career choice.
• The money doesn’t come to you. You have to go get it.
• The company operates 365 days a year. You may be working some holidays.
• We work in all kinds of weather.
• We deal with insects and animals.
• You will have some long days up front.
• You will have that day where you want to quit. Every job has this.
• You will work in attics, crawlspaces, and basements.
• You consistently work with a 6’ and 24’ ladder.
The simple truth is this. If you are not afraid of working to earn a living, and ready to see your efforts recognized and rewarded. This is the company for you.

Keep up the great work.

48 Other Employee Reviews for Satellites Unlimited (View Most Recent)

False Promises

Former Employee - Installation Technician
    Former Employee - Installation Technician

I worked at Satellites Unlimited full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Company provided tools, vehicle, and equipment.

Cons

Company preaches quality, safety, and unlimited earning potential. Unfortunately, those things will not get you paid at this company. The only way to get a decent paycheck is to sling up as many pieces as possible with no regard for safety, quality, or customer satisfaction. If there's a snafu in weekly equipment draw (quite frequent), you spend all week cancelling jobs and scrounging for what you need (which keeps you on the road 12 hours a day with no pay).

Put techs on an hourly rate and reward / punish based on quality, safety, and productivity.

Here Is The Real Deal-It has changed my life and I love it!

Current Employee - Trainer in Attalla, AL
    Current Employee - Trainer in Attalla, AL

I have been working at Satellites Unlimited full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

In my 8 years here, I have witnessed SUI's exponential growth first hand. When I started, they had around 150 technicians companywide and have since grown to more than 500. I had waited my whole working career to find a place that rewards hard work. I had a 12 year working career before SUI and 7 years of it were in construction. I had encountered companies with bad culture and overbearing policies and regulations in the work place. I define bad culture as being:

-Promotions being nonexistent.

-Your pay scale was determined for you and your peers based on title alone, and not your personal performance. Even if you did 10 times the amount of work as the next guy, he made the same amount of money you did.

-Once you reached a certain point with that respective company, you were topped out or capped out. You had reached your pinnacle.

-Bonuses were none to minimal.

-Limited in providing resources and tools.

Here is how it is at SUI and how it has progressively transformed into the #1 Regional Service Provider for Dish in the United States:

-They're company vehicles were anywhere from 4-6 years old, most of them having over 100,000 miles and some with even 200,000 miles. They now have vans that are anywhere from being brand new to 3 years old.

- As technicians, we had to fill out paperwork on every job and submit this paperwork every Thursday morning. It took my wife and me, two to three hours to do the paperwork on Wednesday evening, but that has all changed now. The company provides all technicians with a Samsung Galaxy tablet and the tablet takes care of all the paperwork! That eliminated a lot of work for the technician on the job and at home.

-We used to have analog satellite signal meters that had a speaker and a visible signal scale. At times you would have to climb up and down a ladder several times to ensure that the signal was at peak level. Every technician is now provided with a Sat Buddy signal meter. It shows a digital reading of every satellite you are trying to hit and it allows you to make one trip up the ladder. This has obviously increased time efficiency and maximized job effectiveness.

-It used to take a full year to receive a week's paid vacation, now it is 6 months. After a full year, you receive another week's paid vacation. This helps out with the early burnout factor that a new technician can experience within the first 6 months. After 5 years of service, 3 weeks paid vacation is acquired.

-When I first started, it was under the condition that I would work 6 days a week. We were strictly on a 6/1 schedule. They now offer 5/2 schedules and at times (usually in the winter and when work is slower) they offer 4/3 schedules.

-At one time, it took reaching 450 units completed in a week to reach the maximum bonus level. Now, 400 units completed in a week will earn you maximum bonus. There are 3 bonus levels and they are all tied into the fact that you 12 day trouble call percentage is below 4%. This is completely attainable regardless of customers that create trouble calls for no reason. My career 12 day TC rate is 2.5%.

-Family picnics were started last year and have remained a positive fixture. They are held at really nice locations and offer a variety of things to do.

-Boots like Wolverine Durashocks can be ordered through the company and deducted from your paycheck gradually.

-Paid training for a total of 4 weeks. Two weeks of training are held at a multi-million dollar training facility where hotel accommodations and lunch money are available. The other two weeks of training are spent with a calibrated trainer who goes with you on a daily route to gain real life perspective.

-Technicians are recognized in a variety of ways throughout the course of the year. They are awarded gift cards and prizes as well as public recognition through conference calls. Last year, a technician won a brand new Honda Rancher four wheeler. This was one of many last year as there were flat screen TV's and a Southwest Airlines vacation given away also. An annual Oscars Awards Banquet set precedent this year, recognizing the previous year's top performers.

To sum it all up, SUI is continuing to move in a positive direction and is a great place to work. It is a company that passes the profit down to the technician's in a variety of ways. They provide the vehicles, tools and resources to the technician to ensure maximum profitability and time efficiency. They have built their company based on core values and a commitment to excellence.

Cons

Underachievers need not apply! It is actual work. It is a lot of work! That is why we are paid so well! The range of income for an individual technician is very broad. Depending on your work ethic, will and desire, the income can be anywhere from $40,000 to $100,000 a year. I have consistently made $60,000 to $ 75,000 a year over the course of 8 years. Needless to say, anybody that says there aren't any cons to this job is kidding themselves. Here they are:

-There is a major learning curve in the beginning. Learning tools and installation guidelines, office policies and procedures, warehouse policies and procedures, as well as learning customer interaction skills. Driving to jobs can be challenging at times because the GPS isn't always accurate. There is a lot to learn!

-Attics, crawlspaces, weather elements (heat, cold, rain), animals and insects, unruly customers (less than 5% of our customers are unruly, the majority of them are fantastic and very supportive), heights with ladders and rooftops. Aren't these enough cons!

-At times, you could be in desolate areas without cell phone service. These areas include back woods roads and sometimes a lack of driving direction (street signs, mailboxes). This can be time consuming at times and create feelings of solitary helplessness.

-It literally takes 4 weeks to get an initial paycheck because two weeks of work are put in and then held. We are paid bi-weekly but it is rough in the beginning.

-There are late nights at times, especially in the beginning because you are still learning the nuances of the job (I spent 10 hours on my first job). I consistently get home in-between 4 p.m. and 7 p.m. There are occasional nights where I won't get home until 8 p.m or 9 p.m but it is a rare occurrence now that I have acquired an established comfort level with my job. In the beginning, I had a few nights that exceeded the time frames previously mentioned. My wife and kids have such a drastic change in lifestyle due to the money that I make. They understand the pros and cons of this job and it's not like they want me home late at night but they understand that it is rare and the reality of service work.

-I still get to jobs and say to myself "You got to be kidding me" or I will leave after a job thinking "To heck with this, I quit". Any job you ever have will present a bad day to you. Here at SUI, you could wake up the next day and go to a totally different town with totally different people. When you work at a factory/plant or the same place every day, you have to wake up and go to that same place all over again. The fact of the matter is, that I make such a great living doing what I do and I have created such a great lifestyle for my family (new house, dependable vehicle, great vacations), that I would never quit here. I could not leave here and find a job somewhere else, making what I make. I don't have a college education to fall back on or a rich family to support me on a series of failed entrepreneurial endeavors

Thanks for the opportunity you have graciously afforded myself and so many others. I look forward to many more productive years!

There are newer employer reviews for Satellites Unlimited