Savannah Chatham County BOE

www.savannah.chatham.k12.ga.us
Unclaimed Profile
Add Review
There are newer employer reviews for Savannah Chatham County BOE

Great district to work for.

Current Employee - Speech Language Pathologist in Savannah, GA
Current Employee - Speech Language Pathologist in Savannah, GA

I have been working at Savannah Chatham County BOE full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The Speech Therapists resemble a close family.

Cons

Heavy caseloads and the district calendar does not include enough professional development days for staff.

Advice to Management

Hire more speech aids.

reviews filtered by
  1. Working for Savannah Schools

Current Employee - Principal in Savannah, GA
    Current Employee - Principal in Savannah, GA

I have been working at Savannah Chatham County BOE full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Know and understand the expectations of the company

Cons

Be flexible, things can change quickly

Advice to Management

Be open to teamwork

2. SCCPSS Needs Good Leaders!

Current Employee - High School Teacher in Savannah, GA
    Current Employee - High School Teacher in Savannah, GA

Pros

The advantages of being a teacher for SCCPSS are similar to those of teachers in any other U.S. city and state. The salary is decent compared to other GA counties. The summers and weekends off are nice and Savannah is a very beautiful city in which to live and is close to the beach. If you have to live here and must work as a teacher, it's okay for short-term, but I'd check with the numerous lower paying private schools in town or the surrounding counties (Effingham and Bryan) if I were going to stay here for a long period of time.

Cons

-I worked at two high schools in Chatham county. One categorized as Title I (high poverty, inner-city) and one in a more suburban location. In a span of 6 years, I had three different principals at the inner-city school. The final principal was so hateful and unprofessional I eventually left that school because it was so mentally taxing to work with someone so abusive and unqualified for his job. At the suburban school, I've noticed there seems to be more of an effort to have a good, highly qualified principal in place. If you can, do your research and try to get a feel for the principal at any school in which you are looking to work. A principal can make or break your experience in Chatham county.
    -If you want a good work/life balance, be careful what extra curricular activities you volunteer to do.
    -Savannah is a relatively small city with a big city's crime rate. Over the years, I've had hundreds of students and former students who've been arrested. A few former students have been murdered. There are gangs, although I've never taken them seriously. There are fights in my suburban school every week and I've had a few occur in my classroom.

Advice to Management

Work harder to find principals who are effective and LIKED by their teachers. I've had negative and positive principal experiences and teachers will work so much harder for their students if they have a principal who they respect and is respectful to them!