Save-A-Lot Food Stores

There are newer employer reviews for Save-A-Lot Food Stores

Don't Get Suckered

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Save-A-Lot Food Stores full-time (more than an year)

Pros

NONE. There was Nothing that was positive.

Cons

Where to begin? As an Assistant Store Manager for almost two years, I have seen the company go downhill very fast. If for one second think you are getting into a "management" job, regardless of title, think again. Your main job is unloading trucks, and stocking, you are basically a stock boy. If you work for this company, DO NOT expect a weekend off, or 1 of the weekend days for that matter. There is no room for family life, and the company will expect you to be fine with this. The communication between district management and the employees is terrible. There is such an "us against them" attitude in the company, it makes for a very uncomfortable workplace. I have seen AN ENORMOUS TURNOVER in the time I was with the company, there is always someone new training, NOBODY GOOD STAYS!
BE WARNED: They will appear to be very nice and inviting at interview, and promise you the world if you make an offer, HOWEVER ON DAY ONE, they make you sign a paper saying all previous promises are void, and from here on out, the employee handbook is your bible.
My advice, AVOID THIS COMPANY LIKE THE PLAGUE...There are much better companies to work for, like most of their competition.

Smarten up, open your eyes, employee moral is very low; from management to janitor, everyone is complaining about the company, because of your "policies" and micromanaging, you made a very depressing place to work. Respect family life...you should give your managers a weekend or two off a month, this is not unheard of, your competitors do it easily. Stop taking advantage of people, and start thinking of managers as managers, and start treating cashiers and other employees as humans.

175 Other Employee Reviews for Save-A-Lot Food Stores (View Most Recent)

Be comfortable with change

I have been working at Save-A-Lot Food Stores full-time

Pros

It's a mid-size company, I'm guessing 300 people at the home office. Used to have business casual dress and jeans on Fridays but about a year or two ago switched to casual full time. It was an appreciated perk when we were experiencing a wage freeze.

Cons

Miss family day at Six Flags. A night at a River Rascal's game pales in comparison. The office is within a mile of the Bridgeton landfill. The smell can be overpowering. Experiencing the third CEO in the past 5 years. Save-A-Lot is owned by Supervalu in Minneapolis.

This company does not care about the individual employee, just the bottom line.

Current Employee - Shift Leader in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Shift Leader in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Save-A-Lot Food Stores full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Assistant Managers and above make a LOT of money. You get a good workout from the heavy lifting and running around, and the merchandise is CHEAP.

Cons

Shift Supervisor makes the same as a cashier- unless you are the only manager in the store, then you get $2.00 more for every hour that you are the only manager. However, you are expected to do manager duties at all times- for the same pay as a cashier.

This position should come with at least a little more pay, because all stores use this position as a manager- not just as a back-up.

There are newer employer reviews for Save-A-Lot Food Stores