Save-A-Lot Food Stores

There are newer employer reviews for Save-A-Lot Food Stores

Don't Get Suckered

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Save-A-Lot Food Stores full-time (more than an year)

Pros

NONE. There was Nothing that was positive.

Cons

Where to begin? As an Assistant Store Manager for almost two years, I have seen the company go downhill very fast. If for one second think you are getting into a "management" job, regardless of title, think again. Your main job is unloading trucks, and stocking, you are basically a stock boy. If you work for this company, DO NOT expect a weekend off, or 1 of the weekend days for that matter. There is no room for family life, and the company will expect you to be fine with this. The communication between district management and the employees is terrible. There is such an "us against them" attitude in the company, it makes for a very uncomfortable workplace. I have seen AN ENORMOUS TURNOVER in the time I was with the company, there is always someone new training, NOBODY GOOD STAYS!
BE WARNED: They will appear to be very nice and inviting at interview, and promise you the world if you make an offer, HOWEVER ON DAY ONE, they make you sign a paper saying all previous promises are void, and from here on out, the employee handbook is your bible.
My advice, AVOID THIS COMPANY LIKE THE PLAGUE...There are much better companies to work for, like most of their competition.

Smarten up, open your eyes, employee moral is very low; from management to janitor, everyone is complaining about the company, because of your "policies" and micromanaging, you made a very depressing place to work. Respect family life...you should give your managers a weekend or two off a month, this is not unheard of, your competitors do it easily. Stop taking advantage of people, and start thinking of managers as managers, and start treating cashiers and other employees as humans.

179 Other Employee Reviews for Save-A-Lot Food Stores (View Most Recent)

Be comfortable with change

I have been working at Save-A-Lot Food Stores full-time

Pros

It's a mid-size company, I'm guessing 300 people at the home office. Used to have business casual dress and jeans on Fridays but about a year or two ago switched to casual full time. It was an appreciated perk when we were experiencing a wage freeze.

Cons

Miss family day at Six Flags. A night at a River Rascal's game pales in comparison. The office is within a mile of the Bridgeton landfill. The smell can be overpowering. Experiencing the third CEO in the past 5 years. Save-A-Lot is owned by Supervalu in Minneapolis.

wasn't bad

Former Employee - Cashier in York, PA
    Former Employee - Cashier in York, PA

I worked at Save-A-Lot Food Stores part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

it had to be the customers they were why we were there

Cons

wasn't a lot to take breaks or a half hour, was to get customers in and out quick

they need to be more nice to the customers not be nassy to customers

There are newer employer reviews for Save-A-Lot Food Stores