There are newer employer reviews for Savers

Not what I expected

I have been working at Savers full-time (less than a year)

Pros

OK benefits and vacation packages etc

Cons

Many managers seem to be brainwashed, An entire training video dedicated to encouraging employees to run away from Union organizers. FOR PROFIT Thrift store, they pay non profits a flat rate for the items they bring in, they charge LOTS of money to the customers who are under the impression that all the monies are going to the non profits. The close they don't sale in store they "recycle" and ship to developing countries (read African and Asian countries) where they CHARGE them for the items deemed either not good enough, or just didn't sale here in the states.

reviews filtered by

It feels REWARDING and you really do feel like part of a TEAM.

I worked at Savers

Pros

- Lots of hours
    - If you do go to school or have anything else mandatory to do, they will revolve around that schedule
    - 2 (15min.) breaks, and 1 (30min.) lunch throughout a full 8hr shift
    - Management is respectful, kind, and understanding
    - Overall, employees and management altogether get along well
    - Great starting pay and you also get annual raises depending on your work habits which is no problem if you're an awesome worker
    - Management praises their employees as a team for the good work being done
    - Quarterly meetings to communicate any policy changes, employee of the quarter, etc
    - Great benefits
    - Paid vacations even for those who has only been there for just a year!

Cons

- It can be hard to get specific days requested off
    - Half of the Savers customers are rude and sometimes even belligerent. The reason why I stayed as long as I did is because of the other half that are kind and respectful and of course, my co-workers and management.
    - The amount of dust you're surrounded by because of all the used items being sold. So I don't recommend this job to anyone who has allergies. :(
    - Sometimes understaffed

Advice to Management

Please keep progressing. The company is doing a great thing to help charities.

Savers only seems to care about profits and not it's employees

Current Employee - Cashier- Assistant Operations Supervisor
    Current Employee - Cashier- Assistant Operations Supervisor

I have been working at Savers

Pros

There is a large discount for employees. 50 percent off of clothes and other items. 30 percent off furniture.
    Most of my coworkers are enjoyable to be around.
    The work is fairly easy and my customers are usually repeat customers who are friendly and truly appreciate us.
    Savers helps the community by paying it's partner for every donation it receives. That money is used to help people and projects in the community.
    All recyclable clothing not sold in the store is sent overseas to aid people who need help in other countries.
    There are deals to be had by customers every single day at Savers.

Cons

There are benefits, but nearly everything has been taken away from the employees or made as hard as possible to achieve.
    Management doesn't seem to know how to communicate with each other, much less it's employees. We never know what has changed until we have gotten into trouble for doing it wrong.
    We as employees feel as if our voices and opinions don't matter.
    The customers have begun to notice the dissatisfaction factor in the store. We used to be a fun store that the customers truly enjoyed shopping in. The employees used to be fun, upbeat, and always joking around with not only each other, but the customers as well. Now, we feel defeated and uncaring. The customers feel that negativity.
    Pay is alright, however we are supposed to get reviews and pay increases atleast once a year. I haven't personally received a review in 2 years
    There are policies in place however, those policies are only put to use sometimes, and other times they are thrown out the window.
    We are consistently told what we are doing wrong, but never praised for what we are doing right.

Advice to Management

Treat employees with more respect. Care more about what makes Savers a profitable and enjoyable place to work. If you put policies in places, USE them. Nothing is worse than attempting to use those policies, telling the customer that this is our policy and then having a member of management come up and completely discredit everything you were trained to say and utilize.

There are newer employer reviews for Savers