Savers

www.savers.com
There are newer employer reviews for Savers

Large company with small, personal feel. One of the best experiences of my multi-unit career.

Former Employee - District Manager in Bellevue, WA
Former Employee - District Manager in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Savers full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, excellent benefits, ability to run your business without being micromanaged, rewarded for success, alignment from bottom to top on company expectations. I loved the scope of responsibility, including the indirect management influence needed to ensure results were achieved while removing roadblocks to success for my people. Had management support in all endeavors. Opportunity to coach and train people for greater levels of responsibility and then see them achieve it! Knowing that while we were for-profit, Savers did a lot for non-profits through partnerships with local charities.

Cons

Thrift experience is a major hindrance to a successful job search, as it has a stigma that is absolutely not true. Working with other people's donations can sometimes be a very dirty (and potentially dangerous) job.

Create a better work environment for team members in the back room. Those folks work hard for the money and bonus they are paid.

163 Other Employee Reviews for Savers (View Most Recent)

Terrible management skills

Former Employee - Operations Assistant Supervisor in Naperville, IL
    Former Employee - Operations Assistant Supervisor in Naperville, IL

I worked at Savers full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The company as a whole really does have good qualities, they are a for profit resale company that takes their donates from a non profit organization that is near a general area. So they help communities locally.

Cons

They hide behind the good deeds of working with a non profit to hide the fact that they treat their employees in more than just a terrible way. Almost like they turn a blind eye to labor violations, harassment, and team moral. So they are totally aware of what is going on, but they choose to act like it's not happening so they can continue doing what they are doing.

Your company will thrive if you take the time in making your staff feel like an actual staff, instead of a sweat shop in "back of house" and slaves in "front of house". I was degraded in front of the entire back of house staff by a trainee, and my manager laughed and congratulated the trainee in front of the entire staff. No one should ever have to feel so belittled at a workplace. Shame on you for allowing this kind of behavior.

why did i bother

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Hamburg, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Hamburg, NY

I worked at Savers full-time (more than an year)

Pros

hours were very accomodating, initial training was a good experience

Cons

The training was very hands on with watching videos, these video during the training painted an image that was far from the truth. Alot of times during the training they had the same players over and over. Also the players in the training videos were all corporate people that helped paint and show this "perfect" company image. When it came time for pay raises these raises were very small and puny. my wage after 1 year went from 40,000 to only 40,800. The company also believes in using double standards in corrective action. The store management only uses corrective action when they feel appropriate to do so. They also allow other management to yell and use inapropriate language to members of the staff. The company also uses an alert line number where you are allowed to call in when you feel you are being mistreated. This alert line is a waste of time and no results ever are resolved by using this. The only thing that happens is a statement is taken and any issues are never resolved. My training was mostly on the road at other stores in other states. they spent an immense amount of money training me and then laid me off when the company had issues expanding in the Buffalo market. i was laid off from management while another member of management that was hired after me and with limited training still remained on staff.

your jobs are on the line and remember to follow up with employees on issues

There are newer employer reviews for Savers