Great Growth Company

I have been working at Savers full-time

Pros

Amazing business model that helps non-profit organizations, developing nations, the local communities and the shoppers. Company culture is great. Be prepared to work hard but there is a great sense of accomplishment.

Cons

Corporate support is not growing as fast as the field (stores) and the strain is starting to show.

Advice to Management

Grow the support structure along with the stores.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Savers is a textbook example of retail hell

Former Employee - Cashier/Production Assistant
    Former Employee - Cashier/Production Assistant

I worked at Savers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great employee discounts (50 percent on clothing, 30 percent on all other items), Set schedule if full-time which is rare to come by in retail

Cons

Pay was the bare minimum, and they squeezed every penny of labor out of you. If you were idle for even a minute, you would be disciplined no matter how much hard work you had put out in the past. Management from operations and production often did not communicate with each other. Also, management would belittle employees making them plunge and clean toilets when they already had a cleaning service coming in almost every morning. Savers openly deceived its customers as a for-profit thrift store, making it appear like Savers was doing great deeds for the community. While they did have nonprofit partners, no manager at my Savers would reveal just how much they pay each local nonprofit. The thought amongst employees is that it is a very minimal amount. Management also seemed to be much more concerned with profit as the number one priority rather than helping the community. Quotas and sales goals took preference to the greater good. Very unsafe working conditions. Several people were injured on the job, especially those that worked production. The used clothes smell eventually made the store smell unpleasant. Micromanagement. The company would watch every thing you did and go over it with a fine comb.

Advice to Management

Realize that your employees are human beings and not just thoughtless drones trying to make quota. Get a new cashier system, so employees don't have to manually enter discounts for each item.

Great fun, but fickle management.

Current Employee - SALES CLERK
    Current Employee - SALES CLERK

I have been working at Savers part-time

Pros

I get a 50% discount on clothing, books, music, movies, and 30% off of everything else. I have a relatively fun time with most of the customers, and most of my coworkers are friendly.

Cons

Management is insane. On the sliding scale of employee value from inseparable-to-expendable, they weigh heavily on the expendable side. I've been there for only a short while and already I've seen several people come and go. The environment is not condusive to productivity from employees.

Advice to Management

Be kind to those beneath you.