Schenectady County Community College

www.sunysccc.edu
There are newer employer reviews for Schenectady County Community College

They take advantage of part-time help.

Former Employee - Lab Assistant
Former Employee - Lab Assistant

I worked at Schenectady County Community College

Pros

The flexibility of your schedule.

Cons

They hire a lot of part-time help to avoid having to pay benefits. They require advanced degrees for full time positions even if the applicant is well qualified with a lesser degree. The pay does not warrant the requirement for a bachelors degree for many non teaching positions.

Make your multiple part time jobs into singular full time jobs so you can offer benefits. If you are going to require four year degrees instead of two year degrees for full-time non teaching positions, then increase the pay and include benefits. Consider advancing from within even if qualified applicants only have Associates Degrees. You devalue the AS degree by failing to hire the very people you are educating.

3 Other Employee Reviews for Schenectady County Community College (View Most Recent)

Gives me an opportunity to give back to others.

Current Employee - A&P Instructor in Schenectady, NY
    Current Employee - A&P Instructor in Schenectady, NY

I have been working at Schenectady County Community College as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Help people reach their goals of becoming health care professionals, something we sorely need in our country.

Cons

For me, it would be the lack of a coherent on-boarding system for new adjuncts.

Be clear in course and objectives to be taught to students, and practical content on day one.

Great Work But No Recognition

Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Schenectady, NY
    Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Schenectady, NY

I have been working at Schenectady County Community College part-time (more than a year)

Pros

A very challenging work environment. Really gives you the opportunity to develop your own teaching style and experience with some great students.

Cons

As an adjunct, there are no benefits. The salary is substandard and the faculty treat you like a substandard professor. There is also no real opportunity for career advancement.

The departments need to take more of an interest in the adjunct faculty, as they teach a large portion of the courses offered at SCCC. A substantial pay increase for the adjunct should also be exercised, to increase retention rates and general happiness.

There are newer employer reviews for Schenectady County Community College