There are newer employer reviews for Schneider

First driving job, nothing else to compare it to

Current Employee - Truck Driver  in  North Salt Lake, UT
Current Employee - Truck Driver in North Salt Lake, UT

I have been working at Schneider full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Almost guaranteed that you will be hired as soon as you get your CDL. Only two people I know of weren't able to get hired; the first was obese and could not pass the physical(you have to be able to get down and under the trailer to properly inspect your equipment), and the other was unable to perform a 90 backing procedure. Other than that, you're pretty much golden!
-I get all the miles I need, my DBL(fancy name for the dispatcher) does a fair job of keeping me rolling with whatever loads are available in my area.
-Newer equipment. I was able to get into a 2 year old Cascadia after only 8 months with the company, and they seem to be trying to roll all of the older trucks out in favor of newer trucks and trailers.

Cons

-Pay caps way too early. I've been with the company only a year and a half, and already my pay has capped at $0.36/mile. That's a pretty low figure compared to other companies.
-Insurance is obscenely expensive, with high deductible. I'm paying out $200-$300 a week for my insurance, and still have to pay a $5000 annual deductible before the medical will even cover anything. Seeing as I don't regularly fall down stair wells, I have yet to actually pay this deductible to be able to make use of the insurance I am paying so much for.
-Software is bugged beyond belief. For starters, it is quite obvious that no driver input was used in the design of the software, as many necessary features were completely left out. And it is a coin toss whether your estimates will actually be recognized in the system. Most of the time I update an ETA, when I get to the customer it asks why I'm late, even though my Qualcomm shows that I'm a half hour early to my pickup.
-DBL's give no support, and are often extremely rude. I moved a few months ago, and asked how to update my address with the company. All I got back was"update on the website". The website is a disorganized monstrosity, and there was no option I could find to update that information. I finally had to go into the office and ask, and point out that they couldn't find the ability to update either before they finally did the update for me. As for rude, if I am late to the customer for pickup or delivery for ANY reason, even equipment failure, I get screamed at. This is probably my #1 reason for looking for another company right now.
-Technology is continually getting "upgraded", but the upgrades always have many issues long after they've gone live, and it takes several months before they bother to fix them. Current favorite is an "upgrade" to keep the truck from idling except in extreme temperatures(below 20 or above 80 F). Problem that they failed to anticipate, however, was that they installed the sensor next to the exhaust manifold, so it was reading the significantly higher temps radiating off of the exhaust. We went pretty much all of winter without anyone able to idle unless the temp was below 5 F.

Stop throwing out all of these random upgrades! Focus on fixing what software we are currently using instead of flushing an investment into replacements.
With as much focus as there is on safety, start putting some requirements on making the workplace a bit less hostile. If I wanted to get yelled at for things out of my control I'd have remained in the Navy for better pay and significantly better benefits.

204 Other Employee Reviews for Schneider (View Most Recent)

Agony

I worked at Schneider full-time

Pros

Cafeteria has a decent salad bar. Some nice people. Leadership pretty much lets you do your job.

Cons

Horrible technology will make you want to pull your hair out. Systems don't work. Pretty much total chaos all the time.

Dead end career path with little compensation

Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Executive  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at Schneider full-time for more than a year

Pros

Have some met some great associates, but it seems all the goods leave.

Cons

Where to start? Little compensation, little help from managers that don't care about helping you with your career only care about how you can fill there pockets. Other logistics companies pay a lot better and give mutual respect. There are several managers that are inappropriate and unprofessional. Also told to buy into the Schneider way only to be let down and lied to. They have a huge turnover rate and unless you are handed a golden account don't plan on getting a commission check. Also managers aren't easy to approach. No opportunities to advance. Go find yourself another logistics company because there are plenty that are better and have better compensation.

Hire managers that know how to motivate and not make employees feel uncomfortable.

There are newer employer reviews for Schneider

Worked for Schneider? Contribute to the Community!