Schnitzer Steel

www.schnitzersteel.com

Frenetic work / Friendly coworkers / Very dated management style

Current Employee - I T
Current Employee - I T

Pros

Competitive pay above local market at corp office
Friendly, well meaning coworkers
Training opportunities, if you can find the time

Cons

Competitive compensation keeps the golden handcuffs on stressed out workers. Rule by fear and fiat does not inspire. Little sense of direction or strategy communicated to the rank and file. Very hierarchical, top-down management style is so 1980's. Top heavy worker to manager ratio for a company of this size. Workforce stretched so thin it defies gravity. Plumb projects given to outside resources.

Trust, respect and inspire your workers and the company will be rewarded in turn with hard working, dedicated employees.

Other reviews for Schnitzer Steel

Trying to escape from the "junkyard" mentality

Former Employee - Engineer
    Former Employee - Engineer

Pros

Some advanced policy, freedom, and some fun coworkers

Cons

very political, clique-filled, and behind the scenes terminations, reassignments and upsets. Competition with outside firms stresses working environment.

Its easier to learn the junk business already being a professional than it is to turn a junk person into a professional.

Good Money-Maker / Bad People-Manager

Pros

Decent salary/benefits, good name recognition for future employers, and you always know where you stand with management (even if they are disrespectful in how they tell you).

Cons

Never in my life have I seen so many unhappy people working at one organization, all frantically scrambling to the top with little or no regard for how they treat others in the process. I am very thankful not to be working there anymore, and I've learned a lot by observing behavior that I never want to mimic. Word of advice to current employees who may be struggling: you are much better off rising above shallow antics, even if it ultimately means you have to leave.

If this is how you want to run your business, fine. But you need to understand that if you don't treat people with respect and kindness, then all the respectful and kind people will leave and you will be left with a quagmire of unhappy people, motivated by fear mongering. This is a recipe for a very unhappy work environment.

There are newer employer reviews for Schnitzer Steel.

Worked for Schnitzer Steel? Contribute to the Community!