Schnitzer Steel

www.schnitzersteel.com

Great ideas, lack of unified plan for execution

(Former Employee)

ProsOutstanding people here. Of all the place I have worked, this is definitely the best as far as the caliber of people and camaraderie. Flexible scheduling, interesting industry, environmentally conscious, good benefits.

ConsThe company wants to move forward and implement continuous improvement practices and to become more "lean" oriented. Unfortunately there is a complete lack of cohesiveness is their approach. The idea is there but there is no uniformity in approach. People, data, ideas and technology are scattered all across the country with no teamwork or shared initiative. Multiple layoffs this year as the metals industry has crashed.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a brain-trust together and develop a set of standardized tools to be used across the company. Not Tom's spreadsheets but simple, useful reporting tools AND reporting procedures.

Eat, sleep, breathe, scrap

I have been working at Schnitzer Steel full-time for more than a year

Pros: Relaxed work environment, great people, good salary and benefits, exciting… Cons: Sink or swim mentality, highly competitive, poor onboarding experience Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Frenetic work / Friendly coworkers / Very dated management style

I T (Current Employee)

I have been working at Schnitzer Steel

Pros: Competitive pay above local market at corp office Friendly, well meaning… Cons: Competitive compensation keeps the golden handcuffs on stressed out workers. Rule by fear and fiat does not inspire. Little sense of direction or strategy communicated… Advice to Senior Management: Trust, respect and inspire your workers and the company will… More
There are newer reviews on Schnitzer Steel.

Worked for Schnitzer Steel? Contribute to the Community!