There are newer employer reviews for Schnitzer Steel

Truly mind numbing

Former Employee - Store Manager in San Jose, CA
Former Employee - Store Manager in San Jose, CA

I worked at Schnitzer Steel full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Promotions are readily available to those interested due to the high turnover environment. During most of my career there were openings at every level somewhere in the country.

Cons

The culture is absolutely brutal. Goals are set arbitrarily with the exception of those in the inner circle. Then when goals are not met, blood is quickly shed. You might be a great performer in another organization, but when you're set to fail there can only be one conclusion. If you do not think it will happen to you...well then ask to see their turnover statistics. There's a reason that most managers and supervisors do not last 2 years. Even some of the ones who do succeed and are recognized as winners are terminated the following year. Do right by yourself and don't sign on with these jokers.

You cannot blame the individuals for failing when it is happening everywhere in your company.

43 Other Employee Reviews for Schnitzer Steel (View Most Recent)

Horrifying

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Schnitzer Steel full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Money..................., however I recently hear through the grapevine they are no longer good for that....... massive slowdown at the Portland scrapyard

Cons

Too many to list way too many to list

Encouraging things like backstabbing, gossiping, and outright lies about people who are simply just trying to pay the bills, are not traits of honesty or integrity, just in case you were wondering about that...............i would highly recommend this company to my worst enemy!

Awful place! If I could rate it a zero, I would. People hate coming to work there. Terrible mgmt, from the top on down.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tacoma, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tacoma, WA

I have been working at Schnitzer Steel full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent medical insurance, I guess. You're gonna need medical if you work here. The stress will kill your body and your spirit.

Cons

Too many to mention. Worst job I've ever had. Can hardly wait to escape out of here. It can't come a minute too soon. Worst supervisor I have ever had. Overall bad place that cares nothing for their lower level employees, the ones who actually do the work and keep the place going. Too much politic'ing and back-biting and scrambling to be one of the good ol' boys. The pay sucks, with no raises unless you are in management, and then you get all kinds of nice little benefits and bonuses, and the CEO is actually being given bonuses based on how many people's jobs she can eliminate in this awful economy. People are desperately trying to hold onto their jobs and will do/say anything about others in order to 'secure' their lousy jobs. Horrible and blatant double standard in this company between the have's (management) and the have-not's (anyone else).

Do your underlings a favor and either quit or retire. Please. This place needs a complete cleansing, big time. Archaic mentality of management, and horrible interpersonal skills and motivational skills of those who are supposed to be the leaders, make for extremely low morale. You would get more loyalty and production out of people if you could just treat them, and talk to them, as human beings deserving of respect. And understand that for most of them Schnitzer Steel is just a job, a paycheck. A means to an end. Management has not acquired the skill of fostering a climate of harmony and loyalty due to their atrocious tactics of making everyone feel inferior and threatened. Allow them their family time and don't make them feel like their job is on the line if they happen to need to take time off to help or to be with family now and then. Stop looking the other way at salaried employees who routinely accumulate massive amounts of PTO simply because they are abusing the system and not reporting when they take time off. The double standard in this supposedly 'ethical' and 'safety conscious' company is a total sham. Again, morale is beyond bad due to the tactics of management.

There are newer employer reviews for Schnitzer Steel