Scholastic Book Fairs

There are newer employer reviews for Scholastic Book Fairs

Great place to work

Current Employee - Product Coordinator I in Fremont, CA
Current Employee - Product Coordinator I in Fremont, CA

I have been working at Scholastic Book Fairs part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great place to work. Really flexible with hours for employees that go to school. Get to read for 15 minutes at the beginning of shift.

Cons

The warehouse is really dusty and dirty inside so that can be a problem for some people. At times the work gets physical but is nothing a college kid can't handle.

75 Other Employee Reviews for Scholastic Book Fairs (View Most Recent)

Not a sales job for a real sales person that is self - motivated.

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Scholastic Book Fairs full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The individuals on the sales floor are wonderful people to work with. Some of the best!

Cons

*mircomanaged
    *scripts strictly inforced
    *Corporate way out of touch with relevant sales skills
    *Do not know how to effectively incent and motivate a sales team
    *Out of touch with the customers they are selling to and their needs
    *Individual talent and expression of sales not valued
    *Turnover is large and is not a concern nor is the management team or corporate held responsible
    *Low moral amongst team with the large amount of written warnings for unobtainable metrics
    *The few who meet the metrics are not rewarded or valued as a team member
    *Promote from within those with low skill level and who do not meet exceed metrics

Work on retention and individual talent. Formulate a system that pleases the customer and allows sales force to excel and express themselves. Learn to motivate and incent a sales team with clear trackable metrics.

Working for Scholastic--Book Fairs Dept.

Current Employee - Customer Care Representative in Neosho, MO
    Current Employee - Customer Care Representative in Neosho, MO

I have been working at Scholastic Book Fairs part-time (more than an year)

Pros

-This was my first job not at home (did Ebay for a long time), and honestly it would be absolutely perfect as a first job or for someone just out of highschool/college. It is easy to get hired, they practically BEG you to work for them.

-Most of the coworkers are genuinely nice and the customers are 99% friendly, nice people who are easy to help and usually pretty appreciative.

-When you first get hired, you can pick your own hours that you're willing to work, and they will not make you work past those hours. If you say "I want to quit at four", unless you volunteer for overtime, they won't make you work past four. You also get weekends off.

-The supervisors are helpful and have the patience of saints if they can tell you are willing to learn from mistakes and care about doing things right. If you make a suggestion, they actually listen, and they asked us to give tips on how to improve the training manual for new hires so it would be more comprehensive.

-I've never seen more employee appreciation in my life. I've gotten a t shirt, a thermos, a lunch bag, a $25 gas card and more, plus they have contests where you can win things. When my father-in-law passed away, and then my grandpa, they were very nice about it and sent lovely houseplants with condolence cards. Every now and then out of the blue someone will be walking up and down the aisles handing out candy.

-The office has its own bookstore for employees only, where everything is deeply discounted to a fraction of its original price--and not just books, but banners, stickers, programs, games, kits, toys, etc. You get an employee discount on anything you order, and you see more variety of products to buy than the general public. If you're a parent or know a teacher, for some people this alone has made it worth working for Scholastic.

-If you love helping people you will feel very useful here, lots of opportunity to make someone's day a little easier (particularly if you are trained in some specific departments). Of course, the orders you place go directly to children's book fairs, so you know you are helping inspire kids to learn.

-If you like a break, during the slow season, there are so few calls that you can read a book between them--they'll let you. There is a layoff period of several weeks during the summer that is almost like a paid vacation if you file for unemployment--provided you can get the Unemployment office to actually pay you for the whole time (this depends on when you were hired).

Cons

-The pay is rock-bottom, minimum wage. One of my co-workers had made more money as a server at a local restaurant than here. Even Walmart pays more. You do get a raise for each department you train in, though (not sure how much the raise is).

-Although you're sitting all day, the work station is uncomfortable and stressful on the body--you'll have to be prepared for backaches, neck aches, and possibly eventual carpal tunnel, which is what I'm headed toward, although they do provide desk exercise sheets. The headsets are uncomfortable, the chairs don't all work right and the space can be pretty cramped.

-If you are a part-time agent, they'll still make you work full 40 hour work weeks during busy season but you won't get any benefits...no sick leave, no insurance, no vacation. And being part-time gives them the license to yank your schedule around whenever they feel like it. Make sure when they first hire you and ask for your preferred hours, that you think long and hard about the earliest/latest times you feel comfortable with. Opportunities to switch to full-time from part-time are very rare.

-You may be expected to work 5 1/2-6 hours with ONE 15-minute break. They will often schedule you for 7-1/2 hours so you're working nearly a full shift but they don't have to give you a lunch break, just two 15-minute ones. You'll learn to eat very very quickly.

-Training is nowhere near thorough enough. Half of what I learned, I learned through trial-and-error. This is probably improving with time as they implement more information.

-The actual job itself--placing orders--is so monotonous and mind-numbingly boring you actually look forward to training in something different, like, say, the financial department. If you don't get enough sleep, have fun trying to stay alert and awake.

-You could be in a car accident or puking your guts out, but that doesn't matter to H.Q.--if you miss work, they put a point on your attendance record, because they have a "no-fault" attendance policy. The only way you don't get pointed for unscheduled time away from work is if someone directly related to you dies and you need to go to their funeral.

Please for the love of your loyal employees, drop that "no-fault" attendance policy. We are human beings, not robots. We get sick, we have emergenices, we have lives.
    If you could just make it to where we won't get points on our record if we bring in a doctor's note as proof we were ill that day, that would be great.

There are newer employer reviews for Scholastic Book Fairs