There are newer employer reviews for Scholastic

A very good environment to work in.

Current Employee - QA Consultant in New York, NY
Current Employee - QA Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Scholastic

Pros

Good work environment
Respect for employees
Provides a great product for children

Cons

Salary is a little on the low side

Some technology upgrades are needed.

reviews filtered by

Friendly but unequal work environment.

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Scholastic

Pros

Assuming you work for the right division, Scholastic is a friendly, welcoming work environment. The company has a strong, warm-fuzyy inducing mission: To Help All Kids Learn and Love to Read. Who can't get behind that?

Cons

Scholastic is run like a family business, regardless of the fact that it is publicly traded. There is a great deal of favoritism at play in the company at all levels, and advancement is often more of a popularity contest than a reflection of employees' work ethic.

The company's "family friendly" policy is out of control, allowing virtually anyone (who is female) with children to work from home, or four-days a week and piling on extra work on those who do not have children. This kind of decision is popular with moms, but is a perfect example of why the company seems to be hemorrhaging good workers and can't get itself in the game as far as new publishing ventures and new technology.

There are also huge disconnects between the ways divisions are run. For example, the Book Group gets (secret) "Summer Fridays" where they can take every other Friday off or half-day Fridays in the summer, but the rest of the company is required to work those days. Great for the Book Group, but what about Education? Or eScholastic? Or Magazines? Or the Legal Department? Or Human Resources?

Rethink the way you treat employees across divisions. You may think we don't see that some of us get treated better than others, but we do. And that's why we leave.

Great overall company, but sometimes poor leadership and there are too many perma-temps!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Scholastic

Pros

Great working environment -- not too stressful, awesome work neighborhood (heart of SoHo), generally friendly (more females to males ratio) coworkers, good mission (helping kids read, education).

Cons

I was a permatemp for too long without option to be hired permanent (a shady practice). There is some bad leadership. Its hard to move up, career-wise. There is in general resistance to change (but maybe its difficult for big corps). Publishing is also in the decline so this is not necessarily the best industry - expect restructuring/layoffs because there were more than 2 instances of it in my less than 3 years there!

Hire those darn permatemps - your company will collapse without them! Stop making excuses!

There are newer employer reviews for Scholastic