There are newer employer reviews for Scholastic

A very good environment to work in.

Current Employee - QA Consultant in New York, NY
Current Employee - QA Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Scholastic

Pros

Good work environment
Respect for employees
Provides a great product for children

Cons

Salary is a little on the low side

Some technology upgrades are needed.

203 Other Employee Reviews for Scholastic (View Most Recent)

Great overall company, but sometimes poor leadership and there are too many perma-temps!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Scholastic

Pros

Great working environment -- not too stressful, awesome work neighborhood (heart of SoHo), generally friendly (more females to males ratio) coworkers, good mission (helping kids read, education).

Cons

I was a permatemp for too long without option to be hired permanent (a shady practice). There is some bad leadership. Its hard to move up, career-wise. There is in general resistance to change (but maybe its difficult for big corps). Publishing is also in the decline so this is not necessarily the best industry - expect restructuring/layoffs because there were more than 2 instances of it in my less than 3 years there!

Hire those darn permatemps - your company will collapse without them! Stop making excuses!

a money-wasting company led by a disorganized and spoiled upper management team

Former Employee - Assistant Editor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Editor in New York, NY

I worked at Scholastic

Pros

They loved wasting money on the most boring "moral boosting" parties... but at least there was booze and food. The health benefits were also very good, and you got them as soon as you started to work at Scholastic.

Cons

- Upper management team wasted everyone's time (and too much money!) by making endless revisions, as well as making everyone work on their personal projects (e.g. every year the president of my division had the production team make personalized holiday cards for her family).
    - HR doesn't listen to your problems, and they always relay confidential info to your manager.
    - Upper management treats everyone like their slaves. And if you don't suck up to them constantly, they do everything they can to get you fired. I've witnessed many high-level employees be treated so well, and the moment they disagree with their boss, they are black-listed.
    - Everyone is underpaid because they give their VP's outrageous annual bonuses ($100K-200K)

Treat your employees with respect!

There are newer employer reviews for Scholastic